• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Andrax

Andrax

Andrax.Net Admin

• Site Admin
  • 9,376 posts

Posted 23 February 2006 - 01:14 PM

The United States Patent and Trademark Office earlier this week granted design company Balthaser the rights to a patent that covers the creation of rich media applications on the Internet. While it may not seem like the news is of any consequence, the San Francisco-based company intends to demand payment from those using a range of Web technologies.

The awarding of the rights to Balthaser is sure to again stir controversy regarding the patent process, especially in light of recent patent fights involving companies such as Visto and NTP.

Companies who build applications using Flash, AJAX, Java, or a host of other methods to deliver rich content could all be affected.

"This new addition to our patent portfolio is a pioneering patent and provides significant licensing opportunities for both Balthaser and our licensees," CEO and chairman Neil Balthaser said in prepared remarks.

If the patent is allowed to stand, it could mean millions -- if not billions -- of dollars in revenue for Balthaser through licensing fees and royalties. However, questions have already arisen on its validity.

According to press reports, Balthaser filed for the patent on February 9, 2001. However, in 1999 a system to create multimedia content online was released by a company called Javu Technologies.

More details at BetaNews

#2 Farfik

Farfik

Forum God

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,583 posts

Posted 23 February 2006 - 01:32 PM

Prior art, this patent should never have been issued.

#3 Johnny Cool

Johnny Cool

Johnny Cool

• Moderators
  • 15,863 posts

Posted 23 February 2006 - 01:40 PM

Agreed.

#4 Mofo Jones

Mofo Jones

Forum God

• Moderators
  • 12,268 posts

Posted 23 February 2006 - 02:04 PM

Agreed.

Thirded.
Posted Image

#5 popeyecu

popeyecu

Forum Supreme Being

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,272 posts

Posted 23 February 2006 - 03:56 PM

I think someone tried to patent the use of HTML to download files. That was about in the same league I believe.
I love the copper. I love the aluminum. I love metal and silicon working together for the betterment of computing.

Andrax Affiliate:

Posted Image

#6 Mike

Mike

Forum God

• Moderators
  • 8,493 posts

Posted 23 February 2006 - 08:25 PM

I patent the use of electrons to transmit messages. pwnd ju all. :devil:
In 1887, Iolani Palace was wired with electricity and telephone service-before Buckingham Palace and the White House.
Posted Image
BOINC team
Setiweb team

#7 Andrax

Andrax

Andrax.Net Admin

• Site Admin
  • 9,376 posts

Posted 27 February 2006 - 08:25 AM

I am pattenting the use of solar energry to convert CO2 into O. Plants learned to do this from me, so anytime someone buys a plant, they will have to pay me a cut for teaching the plants to do this.

You are all welcome. My next pattent application centers around the body's ability to convert plant and animal material (aka food) into energy.

:D

#8 popeyecu

popeyecu

Forum Supreme Being

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,272 posts

Posted 27 February 2006 - 08:58 AM

I'm going to go ahead and patent the excrement that comes from your process, making royalties every time you do.
I love the copper. I love the aluminum. I love metal and silicon working together for the betterment of computing.

Andrax Affiliate:

Posted Image

#9 Mike

Mike

Forum God

• Moderators
  • 8,493 posts

Posted 27 February 2006 - 02:10 PM

I'll patent the process wherby the lungs convert O2 into CO2 thereby getting royalties whenever anyone exhales.
In 1887, Iolani Palace was wired with electricity and telephone service-before Buckingham Palace and the White House.
Posted Image
BOINC team
Setiweb team

#10 Mofo Jones

Mofo Jones

Forum God

• Moderators
  • 12,268 posts

Posted 27 February 2006 - 03:38 PM

I claim the patent on blinking of eyes or any other ocular type of input. :)
Posted Image

#11 Farfik

Farfik

Forum God

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,583 posts

Posted 27 February 2006 - 04:55 PM

I'm patenting interaction with the construct of physical and or metaphysical reality. Anyone or anything interacting with reality in any way must pay licensing fees.

B)

jk, the big guy upstairs already owns that patent, you know who I'm talking about... Carl. :lol: