#1 chowbow

chowbow

Master Poster Wannabe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 943 posts

Posted 10 September 2005 - 12:38 AM

Hello all,

I want to set up some more computers for crunching at WCG, and control / monitor them through Windows' Remote Desktop Protocol. I have a "networking" question I guess, and hope somebody could give me an answer on the following items. First, general background info:

All my machines are on XP, mostly Pro but some on Home edition. I have an area where I can set up some machines and just let them run. I will not be using them for anything really. I would rather not have them connected to a monitor and peripherals, and essentially control them from one of the computers on my home network. The machines will be wired and wireless through a Linksys router with DHCP running and connecting via Comcast Cable internet.

All the computers are on the same workgroup, and file/print sharing works fine. Remote desktop (and assistance) is enabled on all the machines, and all firewalls are configured to give an exception to RDP.

My question: When I use my main computer (from which I'll be controlling and monitoring the other computers) to connect to the crunchers, I have to use the IP address of the machines to connect. They all have meaningful computer names, but when I enter just the name of the computer, it ONLY connects once or twice. After that, the remote desktop screen to login does not even show up, and the process errors. If I use the IP addy of the machine itself, it'll connect everytime. That works fine and dandy for now, but as computers turn on and off or get disconnected, they may be issued different IPs from my Linksys router.

Does anybody have an idea why I cannot get it to work? It is strange that it works the first time I connect and afterwards, it only works with the IP. I also cannot go to "<browse for more>" and click through the network to find workstations, but I believe this is not supported on XP, only on Server editions of Windows. At my work, I remote desktop into all of our servers running Windows Server 2003. I just enter the name of the server, and it works fine with the server. All those servers at work have static IPs from a Cisco router. I tried configuring my home computers to have a static IP from the network connections of the computers themselves, but once it gets the IP, it'll show it's connected... And it does not actually get onto the 'net. So I reverted back to the network properties and set it to obtain IP addresses automatically.

I could get by with using RDP via the IP addresses, but I would like to assign static IPs. Is there something I have to do on the router to make this work? I'm in the IT field but I just maintain the servers and workstations at work. Things were all setup for me when I joined the company. ;) It would be extremely nice if I could just use the computer's name and not have to deal with IP addresses. Is this something I have to do with the HOSTS file on each cruncher maybe? All this IT stuff is still new to me as I did not study this, I just stumbled into the job.

Finally, I realized that with XP machines, if I log into a computer through RDP from my main machine... the machine I just logged into gets logged out. WCG's UD agent still runs after I disconnect though. However, I have 1 specific computer that is connected to a projector which I watch DVDs and play some games on. It would be nice if I could have it logged in ALL the time, even if I RDP into it. At my work, when I RDP into the servers, they do NOT get logged out. I'm guessing this is a function of the Windows Server operating systems. Is it possible to do this with XP?

I hope some of you MCSE guys can help me out! I'm still a newbie to this sort of networking stuff, and I would greatly appreciate any suggestions. If I have to use IPs and the computers will always log out if I remote in, then so be it. It would be nice to know if that is definite though, rather than just thinking I screwed up somewhere.

I would prefer to not use a 3rd party app like RealVNC simply because I don't want to install software that I don't need... RDP should have the functionality I need, I just need it to work right for me!

TIA for your responses!
http://www.got-chow.com

Coral propagator and autocross tire shredder!
Self proclaimed Duct Tape Professional and Ghetto-rigging master.

#2 Woody Dudat

Woody Dudat

Forum Supreme Being

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,603 posts

Posted 10 September 2005 - 04:44 AM

...not a clue...

...your stuff look like this?..
redundancy through duplication

#3 Johnny Cool

Johnny Cool

Johnny Cool

• Moderators
  • 15,863 posts

Posted 10 September 2005 - 12:43 PM

...not a clue...

...your stuff look like this?..

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Nice link. I don't have any experience with it either.

#4 chowbow

chowbow

Master Poster Wannabe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 943 posts

Posted 10 September 2005 - 08:41 PM

Thanks for the link. I have it all set up right according to that page. I checked out Linksys' KB page and found out that for static IPs, I have to start with 192.168.x.25 and go up in increments of 5. So the next IP would be .30, .35 etc. Got that setup and working now, and connecting via IPs instead of computer names.

Haven't figured out the logging in/out issue, but that is minor as the computers are still crunching even when logged out.
http://www.got-chow.com

Coral propagator and autocross tire shredder!
Self proclaimed Duct Tape Professional and Ghetto-rigging master.

#5 kcicluster

kcicluster

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 24 March 2006 - 03:53 PM

Are all these machines on the same lan segment at your location?
Is your linksys behind your cable modem?
Why are you going out on comcast to reach the machines? Unless its changed cable is broadcasting for your area. You and many others use the same cable segment.
Is the lan wired or wireless?
more info
BTW xp isnt that great any chance you have 2k?

#6 popeyecu

popeyecu

Forum Supreme Being

• Valued Member
  • 2,272 posts

Posted 24 March 2006 - 04:07 PM

kcicluster, check the date. This is pretty old.

That said, what ever happened with it Chow?
I love the copper. I love the aluminum. I love metal and silicon working together for the betterment of computing.

Andrax Affiliate:

Posted Image

#7 Woody Dudat

Woody Dudat

Forum Supreme Being

• Valued Member
  • 2,603 posts

Posted 24 March 2006 - 04:09 PM

more info

...post is from September 2005...

#8 Johnny Cool

Johnny Cool

Johnny Cool

• Moderators
  • 15,863 posts

Posted 24 March 2006 - 04:43 PM

kcicluster, check the date. This is pretty old.

That said, what ever happened with it Chow?

Well, that might be old, however, I also want to know what Chowbow did.