1 reply to this topic

#1 Andrax

Andrax

Andrax.Net Admin

• Site Admin
  • 9,376 posts

Posted 15 June 2005 - 01:58 PM

Posted Image
By the end of the month Sony Online Entertainment plans to roll out their new Station Exchange program which will feature a sanctioned SOE supervised purchase and sale of in game items for real world cash. Long opposed to this practice by third parties, Sony had actively tried to squash the practice of online auctions and etailers of selling their intellectual property for real world cash.

Part of the reason for this concern was obviously the result of fraud. Customers think they are purchasing one thing and either never see delivery or are delivered an unrelated item after they have parted company with their cash.

It will be interesting to see how this progresses as MMO's cross more and more into the real world.

The Station Exchange service will start out in EverQuest II and will be limited to select servers. Items will only be bought/sold from these servers. Customers will have the opportunity to transfer existing characters to Station Exchange enabled servers, but will "Never" be allowed to transfer off. Depending on the success of these launch, expect to see it carry over to EverQuest, Starwars Galaxies and other Sony Online games with a bustling in-game economy.

#2 Pbrainz

Pbrainz

Power Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 514 posts

Posted 15 June 2005 - 01:59 PM

I know my friend who graduated made thousands by playing those games and selling them... he's at Princeton right now learning about investment banking. :lol: