13 replies to this topic

#1 Andrax

Andrax

Andrax.Net Admin

• Site Admin
  • 9,376 posts

Posted 21 June 2004 - 10:21 AM

Posted Image
Massively Multiplayer Online RPG's are still a huge market, with gamers across the globe eagerly picking up new titles, and expansions to older titles left and right. However, many MMO's seem to be stuck in the D&D worlds of dragons and magic. There have been a few Sci-Fi MMO's that have had varying degress of success, but there hasn't been much push from the industry to break the mold and come out with something really new, and unique. Until now anyway. Cryptic studios threw out much of the book on established MMO builders guide and went out of their way to make something that would break the MMO mold. About time someone did!

Of course, that's not to say that it worked, but how many EQ clones do we need to see? Will companies not rest until they make an EQ knock-off? I mean, what the hell? Anyway, City of Heroes is a Pay to Play MMO set in a persistant world. Players who choose to take the plunge create their account and login for a big bit of character creation. There are so many character creation variables that its mind boggling really. Deffinitely not something that you want to rush through. Now, having a lot of options in creating a character that is all your own is a nice thing, however the problem with this is that once you are done creating your character, thats the end. That is how your character will look... forever. No in-game items to purchase or find to modify your avatars appearance. And as everyone who has played a MMO can tell you, what you find visually appealing the day you made your character, may not hold up for the months or years that many people invest in those characters. Granted, this is something that COULD probably be fixed as a patch later on in the game. But at the moment, you need to choose wisely!

Posted Image
The gameplay of City of Heroes is pretty outstanding, if you dont mind the typical grind of all MMO's. And don't get me wrong, I have been a huge MMO fan since the early days of EQ when it was a two man show, with Ultima Online battling EQ for the hearts and minds of gamers everywhere. But in all MMO games the basic rule of gameplay when you factor out all the frills is a carrot chase by the gamer, for an inattainable goal. Always trying to get the next level, next spell, new gear, lather, rinse, repeat. And this is just as true with City of Heroes as it is for any other MMO. Now, it deffinitely does some things better then other MMO's. For example, there is almost NO downtime. Waiting 30 to 90 seconds can replenish most of your vital stats allowing you to continue your adventure. Also, there are no corpse retrievals. If you are killed in battle (after level 4) you are assessed an XP penalty. You loose X% of your exp and you have to regain it. Upon meeting your demise you can either wait as a corpse for another player to revive you (only practical if you are grouped with someone who can), or you can be revived at the nearest hospital, and run back to rejoin your mission or group.

Posted Image
Missions are handed out from contacts that you will meet across the game world. You start with a lone contact, and as you do jobs for them they will introduce you to a new contact, who after you have worked with a bit will introduce you to another and so on and so forth. Any mission that you may take can be made into a group mission by the leader of the party you may join, which is very nice if you happen to stumble into a group on the way to a mission. Everyone can tag along and join in the fun and experience. Missions are broken down into two major groups. The hunt/kill missions, where you have to eliminate X number of a certian MOB in a specific zone, or the rescue type mission where you enter an instanced zone to "arrest" someone or save someone. While the missions are really the same (kill bad guys), the instanced zones are cool in that only you and or your group is in them doing the mission. So you dont have to worry about other people coming in and screwing up your quest.

Another issue that some people love and others hate is the absence of items. You won't find "uber loot" in City of Heroes. In fact you wont find loot period. The only two things that you get for doing anything are Prestige points (cash), and power enhancements. While this is good for people who hate to see someone running across a zone with items they will never be able to attain, it does seem to cut quite a bit from the carrot that developers dangle to keep gamers interested. While its been quite a few years since i've had the time to sit down for 14 hour marathon sessions of ANY MMO game, I did enjoy being able to collect loot, gear, and items to make my character what he was. And I find it a pretty serious detraction from the game to be locked into my characters look before I even get into the game.

Posted Image
Characters can choose (at the time of creation) from multiple backgrounds, and then choose their class. Backgrounds are Science (The Science hero received his powers either through purposeful scientific inquiry or through some accident gone awry.), Mutant (The Mutant was born with his powers. His innate abilities appeared either at birth or puberty. A rare few did not develop until adulthood.), Magic (The magic hero receives his powers from a magical source. These abilities might stem from a mystical artifact that the hero has gained over the years - or perhaps the hero has mastered numerous spells that provide him with superhuman gifts.), Natural (A natural hero isn't "super" at all; his amazing talents are derived from intense training and innate abilities. He may have been guided since birth to become the physical specimen that he is, or perhaps some tragedy has driven him to seek perfection.), & Technology (A technological hero uses gadgets to battle the forces of evil. No one else has been able to duplicate the amazing technology that lies behind these gadgets.). Players next choose their "class" Blaster (ranged), Scrapper (melee), Tanker (tank/melee), Defender (buff/heal), Controler (mob control). And then its off to the races.

The graphics and audio complement the game play and the genre of the game quite nicely. It is very comic bookesq. And anyone who has spent their childhood reading their favorite super hero comics will feel right at home in the game world. The hud interface is extremely simple, and easy to utilize making the learning curve of taking control of your hero is well behind you by the time you finish the brief ingame tutorial.

While I really must commend the developers for putting together something that is a true break from the established MMO's, City of Heroes doesnt escape from the same nose to the grindstone approach where your sole purpose in playing is to level character endlessly in the hopes of getting that next power set, getting into that next zone etc. So, if you are violently opposed to that type of gameplay then CoH is not for you I fear. However, if you are familiar with the basic feel of a MMO and just want to try something new for a while, CoH might be worth a shot. However, the $15/mo fee to play might disuade the more casual gamers (price reduced if you purchase 3, 6, 9, 12 month subscriptions). In the end, I think that the breaks that they have made with prior MMO's will actually contribute to a short shelf life. Gamers will probably have a hard time finding entertainment here 3 or 6 months down the line.

There could be hope for the title however, in an already planned expansion for City of Heroes called City of Villians, which will introduce PvP, and allow players to follow a darker path as a villian, instead of the hero. Expected release is later this year.

#2 BSartist

BSartist

Master Poster

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 969 posts

Posted 21 June 2004 - 10:36 AM

I have this game and find it a lot of fun.

The developers are very active in listening to and responding to its customers.

As for the grindstone thing...as with nearly every MMORPG, you get as much storyline out of the game as you want to. There is plenty of storyline involved if people would just take time to read their missions and the clues that they find in them. It would be death to a MMORPG if it shoved the storyline down your face so that it could not be avoided. There are a certain category of gamers ('power gamers') that enjoy it solely for 'the grind' and couldn't be bothered with a story.

One comment I will make is that the game needs more 'special' villians and epic events. You find yourself fighting the same thing over and over again and it gets tedious sometimes. (thats when I usually switch characters)

As far as teamplay, it is perhaps the best I have seen. No single class is necessary for an effective team. Every class brings it's own benefits and help in a different way. Groups without Empathy defenders (healers) can do just as well as a group with one. The game focuses on diversity of groups rather than a formula for groups.

The game is very new but already it is better than SWG (very poor/buggy) and FFXI (very boring).

#3 Aenimus

Aenimus

Forum God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,674 posts

Posted 21 June 2004 - 03:00 PM

Actually, you don't ever lose experience in CoH. When you die, you get Experience Debt, which is a number tacked on to your XPTNL (experience til next level), and when you defeat enemies, you get half of your experience, and half of your xp debt is paid off. effectively its the same thing as losing XP, except for one minor difference: you'll NEVER lose a level because of an unfortunate encounter with a boss much higher than you.. but yeah.. i was obsessed with this game for a good month or so, but now it's all over, i've gotten bored with it, but it kept my attention better and longer than any other MMO i've ever played. except FFXI, that one and this one are about equal, IMO, they just outdo each other in different areas. but then again, i get bored with MMOs quickly, so that's just me. all in all, this is still the MMO that has the biggest chance of going mainstream, imo.
Posted ImageHead of the APBC

#4 White Lion

White Lion

Power Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 555 posts

Posted 22 June 2004 - 08:10 AM

Well some of my friends have it, i dont know though. It seems pretty much like EQ with a sci fi over coat. Like andrax metioned in the review, you just work hard to get the new level, spell, or equipment. So i think ill stick with EQ my precious... :)

#5 BSartist

BSartist

Master Poster

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 969 posts

Posted 22 June 2004 - 11:07 AM

There are no items in CoH...no real market. No class is dominant.

The only reward is leveling...so in that sense you are correct. But I have 8 characters and I have te most fun playing with people I know in the game. So I play a lower level character to play with a friend who's just starting out or doens't play as much as others. The enjoyment is in the group experience. My Kinetics defender cant solo for crap, but in a group people are dealing more damage per shot, firing faster, taking less damage, and all the while losing no endurance (energy, mana, whatever your MMORPG equivalent). The great fun is taking on a group of mobs well above your level - enemies that no one in the group could take a single one on their own.

#6 Aenimus

Aenimus

Forum God

• Members
  • 4,674 posts

Posted 22 June 2004 - 03:36 PM

Well some of my friends have it, i dont know though. It seems pretty much like EQ with a sci fi over coat. Like andrax metioned in the review, you just work hard to get the new level, spell, or equipment. So i think ill stick with EQ my precious... :)

This game is infinitely better than EQ, the controls are easy (especially if you've ever played an FPS with the wasd control scheme) to pick up, and the combat is FAR more exciting and involving, and the action never stops.. unless you want it to.

EQ may have more non-combat activities to partake in, but CoH has set the new standard for combat, i think. I will never be happy with another MMO unless its combat system is like CoH or if it somehow surpasses it. but then again, if you're looking to be able to live in an MMO, rather than fight, then i suppose EQ would be better.

anyways. give it a shot, see if you can borrow someone's account or something. that's how i was playing :P

#7 VooDude

VooDude

Forum God

• Valued Member
  • 4,584 posts

Posted 15 July 2004 - 06:51 PM

Crap, I was really wanting this game until I found out it was pay to play :cry:
Posted Image

#8 Andrax

Andrax

Andrax.Net Admin

• Site Admin
  • 9,376 posts

Posted 15 July 2004 - 07:15 PM

What ever gave you the impression that it WASNT pay to play?? :huh:

#9 Aenimus

Aenimus

Forum God

• Members
  • 4,674 posts

Posted 15 July 2004 - 07:37 PM

good question :blink:

#10 BSartist

BSartist

Master Poster

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 969 posts

Posted 16 July 2004 - 03:44 AM

One month of MMORPG gameplay : $15.00

2 Hours of watching a movie at your local movie theatre : $8.00-10.00

#11 Aenimus

Aenimus

Forum God

• Members
  • 4,674 posts

Posted 16 July 2004 - 03:53 AM

well.. don't forget the 45-50 bucks you have to throw down for the game.. but that comes with a month for free.. so.. it's more like 30 bucks for the game. and 15 bucks for every month you wanna get something out of that $30 program.

#12 BSartist

BSartist

Master Poster

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 969 posts

Posted 16 July 2004 - 04:25 AM

I also take into account that before MMORPG's I used to spend $50/month on games.

#13 Jasie

Jasie

Forum Supreme Being

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,910 posts

Posted 16 July 2004 - 08:45 PM

if not more. I can recall a month where I spent almost $200 on games.

whoops.

I don't really ever get how people get so offended about monthly payments. If it isn't a good deal to you, don't play.
Why bother?
Pardalote is a literati hustler
girls are so much fun I don't understand why they aren't all lesbians
Lewd harbinger of an optimistic fatalist

pie sucks!

#14 BSartist

BSartist

Master Poster

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 969 posts

Posted 20 July 2004 - 11:58 AM

Compared to a first rate FPS where you can play for months and it keeps your interest and is patched and updated with new content on a regular basis, of course it's not worth the fee.

Just too bad I have yet to find an FPS or any other non MM game that can keep my interest that long. The closest would be Half-Life or UT almost purely based on the numerous mods those engines have spawned.

Fact is, once you're done with single player, there's never anything left to do in the game. Mutliplayer is interesting for a while but it either dies out in 6 months or becomes full of 1337 fegs by then :P

MM games are extremely addicting because they evolve and their stories evolve and grow over time.