• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 Andrax

Andrax

Andrax.Net Admin

• Site Admin
  • 9,376 posts

Posted 24 April 2004 - 01:18 PM

After what seems like an eternal struggle, developers have started to complete some of the next generation First Person Shooters. Before we go any further, it's important to give a double dose of credit where credit is due. CryTek really did their homework and pulled out the stops when it came to design and implementation in FarCry. Staring Jack Carver, a hawiian shirt wearing hero, washed ashore after a rather unpleasant explosion aboard ship. Jack wahes up on a strange island and the adventure begins...

Posted Image
The secret to making a strong FPS these days is still relatively simple to understand, and yet appears to be almost impossible to deliver (for many developers). You need excellent game play, immersive environments (audio/video), good graphics, and and semi-intelligent AI. Unfortunately for other developers, CryTek took those standards and raised the bar across the board.

Probably the first thing that gamers will notice with FarCry that sets it apart from titles of the past is the sheer beauty of the game. The line between "cut-scene" and game-play is finally beginning to blur. Providing that you have the hardware to support it, FarCry's Crytek engine is probably the most impressive setup that I have laid eyes on in a retail game. The dense foliage of the jungle landscapes is simply incredible. The leaves and trees cast realtime shadows across the landscape as the light shifts, you can make out the smallest of details as you crawl about the jungle floor trying to avoid detection. And as this does take place upon an island, you have to expect there to be a lot of water, and the water is done incredibly well. Ripples, and reaction to disturbance from foreign objects (like boxes and boats) are oustanding. Even jungle critters make themselves known as they buzz and flit about in the background. Now, on a game of this scope, loading and load times could be a serious issue. Thankfully, loading only occurs once per area (or zone), and movement within that zone is then seamless. Load times are only an issue the first time, so when you return to FarCry to pick up where you left off last, you must wait a bit for the game to re-load everything, but loading after a death to the same zone takes just a few seconds.

Posted Image
What could complement these lush graphics you ask? Why, outstanding gameplay of course! The controls are pretty standard as far as FPS titles go. Not too many surprises go in that regard. However, there is a relatively well thought out implementation of vehicles, which adds a bit of spice. While you don't spend a great deal of time behind the wheel, you do have the opportunity to use various vehicles like jeeps, trucks, hang-gliders, & boats. The thick underbrush of the jungle does inhibit your ability to drive "offroad" much at all, forcing you onto the roads which are usually patrolled. The vehicles are fun, but they deffinitely draw quite a bit of attention to yourself, which leads us right into the AI. This is easily the most suprising improvement in FarCry. The implementation of AI that actually appears to be Intelligent! NPC's use cover and work together to flush you out when they are alerted to your presence. They are also aware of the noise that you make as you trapse through the jungle, so be sure to tread lightly. NPC's also use cover, and will move from one point of cover to another as they advance on you. They will also call for help if you don't dispatch them quickly. This can come in the form of ground support, or if you are really having a bad day, a blackhawk gunship.

Posted Image
To help you get through it, you have your choice of inventory items, 2 primary weapons can be on hand at any given time, weapons range from auto shotgun, m4, p90, mp5+silencer etc. You also can pick up various forms of grenades, and you always have a pistol and a knife. Other equipment includes a com-link device, and some snazzy binoculars with a built in mic which will allow you to spot and listen in on NPC conversations. This can help drive the story, and give you clues about what you might be walking into down the road. The binoculars also have a handy feature that identifies enemies and add them to your radar. My only real gripe with the controls is the mouse sensativity hit you take when you zoom (with weapons or binoculars). I understand why it was done, but it bothers me none the less. If you wish to sight in on something, mouse sensativity seems to be cut roughly in half for the duration of your zoom. Increased accuracy comes at a price.

Ambient audio adds to immersion without being so pronounced that it becomes a distraction. On top of normal jungle noises, you can overhear conversations and combat in nearby areas as you progress. Playing with surround sound, or a nice headset adds quite a bit to the experience. You have to be paying attention to everything, especially when that mutant gorilla is sneaking up from behind... And sporadic gunfire is quite soothing after a while.

Another small issue (said to be addressed in a future patch) is the inability to use any sort of quick-save during the game. All game saves are check-point based. This isn't a huge issue, the check-points in game do appear to be reasonably placed to insure that you don't loose TOO much progress, but it can be frustrating if you run into a difficult spot, to have to fight your way back there from the last checkpoint to try again.

Posted Image
All of the environments that you explore throughout the game are extremely interactive. Unfortunately for me, many of these became obvious only after I had eliminated the guards that would have been effected by the environmental item. These include boxes, exploding barrels, and the like. So be sure to observe your surroundings closely, before you go in guns blazing.

FarCry does include Multi-Player online modes, three to be exact; free-for-all, team deathmatch, and assault. However, the number of servers online is pretty scarce, and joining games is pretty iffy, for whatever reason. But, it is unlikely that people will remember FarCry for its MP anyway, this title really shines as a Single Player title.

FarCry really shines, bringing a welcome breath of fresh air to the single player FPS. FarCry will run on a lower end system, but all of the eye candy would have to be disabled for acceptable game play, and part of the joy of this game is the eye candy! Running FarCry on a 2+ Ghz system, with a DX9 compliant video card, and 512 to 1024mb RAM is a sight to behold. With around 20 hours worth of game play (your results may vary), its about par for the course in duration. Not too short, not too long. Any FPS fan looking for some great offline entertainment should give this title a shot.

#2 lobsta21

lobsta21

Power Poster

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 563 posts

Posted 24 April 2004 - 03:29 PM

Excellent review*kisses butt*

#3 Zel

Zel

Mini Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 24 April 2004 - 08:11 PM

It's outstanding and hard and scary too. It is possible to quick save by hitting your ~ key, typing \save_game 1 (or any name), and enter. The next time you need to save (often), simply hit ~, up arrow and enter. It will save it without a picture in the index of saved games, but it loads fine.

#4 The Zulu

The Zulu

Forum Demi-God

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,763 posts

Posted 24 April 2004 - 10:49 PM

I want to play this game, but I almost feel like it's not worth it when my machine won't run it at full tilt.
-Z

The one, the only, The Zulu...

#5 Andrax

Andrax

Andrax.Net Admin

• Site Admin
  • 9,376 posts

Posted 25 April 2004 - 12:29 PM

Bit of a walkthrough @ GameFaq. Does not go to the end of game, but could help you in the beginning if you get stuck. Also, cheat codes can be had as well.

#6 Mike

Mike

Forum God

• Moderators
  • 8,493 posts

Posted 25 April 2004 - 05:15 PM

FYI, gamefaqs does not allow direct linking, so you'll need to search for the FarCry FAQ.
In 1887, Iolani Palace was wired with electricity and telephone service-before Buckingham Palace and the White House.
Posted Image
BOINC team
Setiweb team

#7 Andrax

Andrax

Andrax.Net Admin

• Site Admin
  • 9,376 posts

Posted 25 April 2004 - 06:13 PM

Thanks for the heads up.

Thats kinda lame, I got to the FAQ from a direct link from Gamespot...

#8 VooDude

VooDude

Forum God

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,584 posts

Posted 02 May 2004 - 10:30 AM

I have this game, but it is so graphic intense that it boggs my VooDoo down :(

I think I need more memory, so I'll be upgrading to 1024MB soon in order to play.
Posted Image

#9 Andrax

Andrax

Andrax.Net Admin

• Site Admin
  • 9,376 posts

Posted 02 May 2004 - 10:39 AM

CPU/Video card in your rig is what?

There was an article in the current PC Gamer about recomended specs for the game. I thought that they really highballed the hardware required to make it run well. But it does provide a baseline of sorts of what to expect based on what hardware you are running.

I deffinitely think that Doom3 and HL2 are probably the only competition that FarCry will have for physics especially and possibly graphics overall for this year. That they came out of left field is even more impressive (ie not a mainline developer). Now, if only we could get our hands on DooM3 and HL2 in the near future...

#10 VooDude

VooDude

Forum God

• Valued Member
  • 4,584 posts

Posted 02 May 2004 - 10:45 AM

CPU/Video card in your rig is what?

It's not the VD card, I have a Radeon 9800Pro 256MB.

That should be more than enough power to run it, but on the box it says it perfers a gig of RAM and I only have 512.
Posted Image

#11 Andrax

Andrax

Andrax.Net Admin

• Site Admin
  • 9,376 posts

Posted 02 May 2004 - 11:54 AM

Ahh yeah. It runs outstanding on my 9600XT, so I would agree that your 9800Pro isnt the issue :D

#12 murf2073

murf2073

Master Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts

Posted 02 May 2004 - 03:14 PM

Man, I definetly need a new computer. I'm still running a 9200 SE! Well, atleast I have a Voodoo on order, that should help. Until then, I'm stuck on this Dell, which can't handle FarCry too well. But from what I have played of it, it truely is a great game.
Posted Image

Murphy's Law- If Anything Can Go Wrong, It Will

#13 VooDude

VooDude

Forum God

• Valued Member
  • 4,584 posts

Posted 02 May 2004 - 06:59 PM

Ahh yeah.  It runs outstanding on my 9600XT, so I would agree that your 9800Pro isnt the issue :D

What's your memory??
Posted Image

#14 Andrax

Andrax

Andrax.Net Admin

• Site Admin
  • 9,376 posts

Posted 02 May 2004 - 07:00 PM

1 Gig system, 128 on the 9600XT, failing short term memory personally... :)

#15 98YZF600Rdr

98YZF600Rdr

Power Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 550 posts

Posted 02 May 2004 - 07:21 PM

Well, atleast I have a Voodoo on order, that should help.

Hopefully.

#16 murf2073

murf2073

Master Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts

Posted 02 May 2004 - 07:24 PM

With some of the problems going around the MB's, you might be right. :( Still, nearly anything is better than a 1.7 P4 and a 9200 SE...
Posted Image

#17 VooDude

VooDude

Forum God

• Valued Member
  • 4,584 posts

Posted 02 May 2004 - 08:14 PM

1 Gig system, 128 on the 9600XT, failing short term memory personally... :)

Yeah one gig seems to be the way to go.
Posted Image

#18 Menelaus

Menelaus

Mini-mene

• Moderators
  • 13,841 posts

Posted 03 May 2004 - 06:22 AM

Good job that Andrax has the new affilaite then!

It looks okay on a GeForce 3 and 2500+ XP (which runs about 1800 really, so I think I am still worse off than murf (if only just) but the settings are nearly all on low.

Only problem I am having is that the critters are so damned tough that taking on two at once ends up with me in little red chunks on the floor.
"It is the job of the judges to ensure that the government of the day does not exceed its powers, which is a permanent desire of all governments." Lord Donaldson of Lymington

Brigadier: Naturally enough, the only country that could be trusted with such a role was Great Britain.
The Doctor: Naturally. I mean, the rest were all foreigners.

#19 murf2073

murf2073

Master Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts

Posted 03 May 2004 - 06:49 AM

the critters are so damned tough that taking on two at once ends up with me in little red chunks on the floor.

For the critters, use the shotgun. It does wonders, especially when your framerate is around 10.
Posted Image

#20 Mofo Jones

Mofo Jones

Forum God

• Moderators
  • 12,268 posts

Posted 03 May 2004 - 06:50 AM

Well, atleast I have a Voodoo on order, that should help.

Hopefully.

If it works, that is :devil:
Posted Image

#21 Menelaus

Menelaus

Mini-mene

• Moderators
  • 13,841 posts

Posted 03 May 2004 - 07:07 AM

For the critters, use the shotgun. It does wonders, especially when your framerate is around 10.

I think I may have missed it somewhere. I have tended to use my Thiefly skills and stay the hell away from nasty men with guns! Before the Supervisors building I didn't kill all the soldiers on the exterior tree gantries But I took pot shots at the critters from a safe vantage point. Maybe I ought not to be carrying a knife and a missile launcher any more! One has no killing power and the other has no ammo!
"It is the job of the judges to ensure that the government of the day does not exceed its powers, which is a permanent desire of all governments." Lord Donaldson of Lymington

Brigadier: Naturally enough, the only country that could be trusted with such a role was Great Britain.

#22 murf2073

murf2073

Master Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts

Posted 03 May 2004 - 07:12 AM

I enjoy the stealth aspect also, but carry around a shotgun for the critters, an MP5 for when I'm spotted and need a quick end to someone's life, and a sniper to take advantage to the 1.5 km draw distance. But yes Mene, you really need some new guns. Try to find the shotgun, that is a big help, and the silenced MP5 is great for us stealthy types.
Posted Image

#23 Menelaus

Menelaus

Mini-mene

• Moderators
  • 13,841 posts

Posted 03 May 2004 - 07:41 AM

Current equipment:

1. Knife
2. Missile Launcher
3. Silenced MP5
4. Assault Rifle
5. Sniper Rifle
6. Extra big, extra absorbent underpants!

Is there a walkthrough anywhere taking you up to the critters? I am damned if I am going into the Vivarium without something nice and powerful.

I bet they could have made a beautiful looking flamethrower!

Biggest let down so far for me? The lack of 'feel' to the hangglider. It was just a way to get a short distance from A to B bypassing bout 8 baddies. Shame! I miss Midwinter! I loved playing that, using the hang gliders! Who else remembers it?

Oh, and I discovered this weekend that when we moved I set up my speakers the wrong way round. No wonder I was hearing a sound to my right, turning right, and being shot in the back! Oops!

#24 murf2073

murf2073

Master Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts

Posted 03 May 2004 - 12:09 PM

I set up my speakers the wrong way round

DOH! :oops:
Posted Image

#25 Lanthar

Lanthar

Forum God

• Members
  • 6,464 posts

Posted 03 May 2004 - 12:11 PM

Oh, and I discovered this weekend that when we moved I set up my speakers the wrong way round.  No wonder I was hearing a sound to my right, turning right, and being shot in the back!  Oops!

:chair: :headbash:
pfsssssssssssssssss... WHAM!
Hold tight! Hold tight? We taped daggers to his hands, he can't help but hold on to them. It seemed like the nice thing to say. After throwing him face first into a rock wall on the other side of a giant sea of fire? Yes.

"si hoc legere scis nimium eruditiones habes"

"You need to take the bull by the balls and run with him" - random inDUHvidual

Posted Image Posted Image