18 replies to this topic

#1 Andrax

Andrax

Andrax.Net Admin

• Site Admin
  • 9,376 posts

Posted 09 April 2004 - 02:39 PM

Posted Image
Seems that World War II is back in style with a vengeance, and has been for some time. From BF: 1942, Medal of Honor and free WWII Mods (like Day of Defeat) it's hard to imagine that there could possibly be anything missing to warrant another game of the same genre. But, none the less, Call of Duty (from Activision) stormed the market like the Allies at the beaches of Normandy.

Obviously, there are all kinds of historical references to draw upon to build a game from the WWII era. Also obvious is the fascination with the "Greatest Generation" which stood against NAZI Germany and its AXIS. Call of Duty seems to play on these issues in its game play with an acceptable storyline (which is to say its pretty sparse, but how much back story do you need to go blow stuff up?), and tried and true dynamite game play.

Throughout the game you take missions as an American, British, and Russian soldier (in that order) to put the smack down from the beginning, to the storming of Berlin itself. And lets be realistic, it does take quite a while to get tired of shooting Nazi's, doesn't it? Going into battle with you is a small platoon of allied NPC's that manage to make a show of being useful in combat. But you are still largely on your own to get the real heavy lifting done. At its best, the AI does help out in heavy firefights with suppression fire and general assault, and at its worst its just adding to the ambience with some gunfire in the distance. And they friendly AI isn't afraid to take a bullet for you, unfortunately they are just as likely to take your bullet as they randomly cross your line of fire. It's hard to not feel like the enemy AI always makes a point to ignore NPC characters and focus its attention in your direction. But such is the life of a WWII super soldier!

Posted Image
One of the greatest aspect of this game is the sound effects. They are incredibly well done, and they are loud as hell. Explosions, gunfire, and heavy equipment rumbling by can have you ducking for cover in your chair as bullets whiz by and ricochet off buildings as the enemy tries to take you down. Obviously no game could ever compare to the real hell of a battlefield, but Call of Duty does a damn fine job trying, and their efforts pay off as they draw you into the games reality throughout your mission. One small audio downfall is the voice-overs. Where do companies get these done? It's not horrible, but it could sure stand some improvement.

Graphics in Call of Duty are good, but certainly not ground breaking. The environments are well designed and maps flow well as you advance. Some of the missions require a great deal of walking back and forth across open expanses. So be sure to have your walking shoes with you, and plenty of ammo.

Unfortunately Call of Duty is on the short side when it comes to the single player campaign. Every gamer rates their game purchase differently, but I would say that you shouldn't expect more then about 10 hours worth of game play on the single player campaign. I would have liked to see about double that personally, but that could be splitting hairs. If you are a FPS/WWII fan, then Call of Duty is definitely worth adding to your collection. If you have played Medal of Honor (+ expansions), BF: 1942, Day of Defeat and other WWII era shooters and you can't figure out what the big deal is, then don't bother with COD. It's more of the same, it's an improvement, but still basically the same.

Posted Image
There is a MP aspect worth checking out which supports several team based modes of play. Search and Destroy (similar to CS) where one team tries to destroy one (or more) targets and the opposing team defends. The other is Retrieval which is almost like CTF, but there is only one object that both teams are trying to acquire and get back to their base. Then of course, there is always the standard DM.

Overall, Call of Duty is a great game where it counts, and any WWII / FPS buff you may know probably already has their copy. If you have been waiting to check it out, now is the time to start shopping for deals. If you can get it on sale, all the better. You'll be less likely to feel ripped off when you get to the end of the game.

#2 Menelaus

Menelaus

Mini-mene

• Moderators
  • 13,841 posts

Posted 09 April 2004 - 04:07 PM

Well I love it!

My biggest beef with the game? The US loading screen has some image of a Screamning Eagle (some US airborne insignia), the Russian loading screen has Russian relevant symbols, the British loading screen merely repeats the Screaming Eagle!

Lack of thought gone into that or what??

Anyone play it MP? I have still not tried it, but after marmalising jasie last night at MOHAA I feel like trying COD!

[And, if deaded reads this, Man, we should be playing online like we used to!]
"It is the job of the judges to ensure that the government of the day does not exceed its powers, which is a permanent desire of all governments." Lord Donaldson of Lymington

Brigadier: Naturally enough, the only country that could be trusted with such a role was Great Britain.
The Doctor: Naturally. I mean, the rest were all foreigners.

#3 GNC

GNC

Forum God

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,782 posts

Posted 09 April 2004 - 06:48 PM

the British loading screen merely repeats the Screaming Eagle!

Lazy wankers.

#4 GameMadness

GameMadness

Forum Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 10 April 2004 - 08:52 PM

Fun Game.....But wasn't long enough...

#5 DrDragon

DrDragon

Mini Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 11 April 2004 - 04:32 AM

Yeah.

#6 Menelaus

Menelaus

Mini-mene

• Moderators
  • 13,841 posts

Posted 12 April 2004 - 09:17 AM

No, it certainly wasn't long. And the Russian tank levels weren't exactly my favourite, but there were lots of nice set pieces to play around with, and it took me a loooooong time to hold Pegasus Bridge.

But I think MP could be fun if we can find people bothered enough to try it.
"It is the job of the judges to ensure that the government of the day does not exceed its powers, which is a permanent desire of all governments." Lord Donaldson of Lymington

Brigadier: Naturally enough, the only country that could be trusted with such a role was Great Britain.

#7 Jasie

Jasie

Forum Supreme Being

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,910 posts

Posted 13 April 2004 - 05:19 AM

hey, guess who just won Call of Duty on ebay for a whopping $19 cdn (including shipping)? That's right, it's me!

So if it arrives by this weekend, we can give it a try if everyone/anyone is game. :)

It's funny; I got the game itself for $4.98, and the shipping is the expensive part, cause they use UPS.
Why bother?
Pardalote is a literati hustler
girls are so much fun I don't understand why they aren't all lesbians
Lewd harbinger of an optimistic fatalist

pie sucks!

#8 Vampyre

Vampyre

Forum Supreme Being

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,423 posts

Posted 13 April 2004 - 07:57 AM

hey, guess who just won Call of Duty on ebay for a whopping $19 cdn (including shipping)?  That's right, it's me!

So if it arrives by this weekend, we can give it a try if everyone/anyone is game. :)

It's funny; I got the game itself for $4.98, and the shipping is the expensive part, cause they use UPS.

Well I'm game! If NWN doesn't happen! B)
"If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest for freedom, go home and leave us in peace. We seek not your council nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." --Samuel Adams

#9 DrDragon

DrDragon

Mini Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 13 April 2004 - 11:48 AM

NWN?

#10 Andrax

Andrax

Andrax.Net Admin

• Site Admin
  • 9,376 posts

Posted 13 April 2004 - 11:52 AM

NeverWinter Nights

#11 GNC

GNC

Forum God

• Valued Member
  • 5,782 posts

Posted 13 April 2004 - 03:13 PM

SWG pawns all. :D

#12 Mofo Jones

Mofo Jones

Forum God

• Moderators
  • 12,268 posts

Posted 13 April 2004 - 04:03 PM

Whatever...why don't you pick up a copy of Jedi Academy and let deaded and I slice you up.....or are you to busy "entertaining" to do that? :devil: :devil: :w00t:
Posted Image

#13 GNC

GNC

Forum God

• Valued Member
  • 5,782 posts

Posted 13 April 2004 - 04:26 PM

I have you know Mofo, not only did I pick up a copy ages ago, I installed it… before ignoring it.

I don’t entertain… wait is that code for drinking? :devil:

#14 Menelaus

Menelaus

Mini-mene

• Moderators
  • 13,841 posts

Posted 15 April 2004 - 11:57 AM

So, did anyone play last weekend while I was out of commission?

#15 Dogberry

Dogberry

Master Poster Wannabe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 758 posts

Posted 19 April 2004 - 11:35 PM

It seems to be I bought that at christmas. You can use me for cannon fodder.

[D]
The oddity formerly known as [D]urus.

#16 Menelaus

Menelaus

Mini-mene

• Moderators
  • 13,841 posts

Posted 20 April 2004 - 06:13 AM

urus,Apr 20 2004, 12:35 AM] It seems to me I bought that at christmas. You can use me for cannon fodder.

[D]

hooray!

Now we just need to arrange a time and killing zone, I mean place!

Speaking of 'cannon fodder', anyone remember Cannon Fodder? I loved that game on my old Atari!

Edited by Menelaus, 20 April 2004 - 06:13 AM.

#17 98YZF600Rdr

98YZF600Rdr

Power Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 550 posts

Posted 20 April 2004 - 06:43 AM

I have the game, I'd be up to play.... although my connection may be a little slow.....

#18 goldboy

goldboy

Mini Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 30 May 2004 - 05:03 PM

i've nevwer played the game , but my son says you can't play with a game pad, you have to play with a mouse. that doesnt sound right. is that true. B)

#19 Andrax

Andrax

Andrax.Net Admin

• Site Admin
  • 9,376 posts

Posted 30 May 2004 - 05:05 PM

I would have to say that ANY FPS on a PC should be played with Keyboard and Mouse. Or perhaps a Belkin Nostromo 50 or Nostromo 52.