Photo

No, I'm not dead yet (but I did just have surgery)

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 DarkStar

DarkStar

Forum Demi-God

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,562 posts

Posted 03 October 2015 - 05:37 AM

Sorry it's been so long since I've been around, right now I'm a patient art Kenmore Mercy hospital in buffalo having had back surgery on Wed Sept 30. The removed the instrumentation from my 1994 fusion,l2-l3 & l3-l4 and then fused L4-L5 & L5-S1.

I had a couple rough days but overall I'm surprised his well I'm doing such a short time following the surgery.

On an even more promising note I've got the following sitting at home waiting to be assembled:

Design S case
i7-6700K
Corsair Hydro Series H110 GTX aio cpu cooler
Asus Maximus VIII Hero motherboard
16GB Ripjaw V DDR4 3200mhz
Asus 980 ti Strix videocard
Samsung 850 Evo 1TB
EVGA SupwrNova 850 watt Power Supply
Corsair fans - 2 SP140 & 2 AF140
Win 7 Pro (I'll decide about Win 10 later)

I'm going SSD only since I have qnap NAS for bulk data storage so the ssf will be the OS, MS Office and games only.

I've also ordered a gunmetal grey SMA8 from Caselab but it's still 6 weeks out, and I may want to miss it a bit when it arrives.

I decided against the X99 add in all honestly I don't do much performance computing besides gaming. If I could have games myself into anything besides the 5960x I would have went X99, but I kept coming back to go big or stay home.

Once the SMA8 arrives I'll be adding a second gpu and water cooling all of it with a custom loop. The current plan would have me replacing the motherboard as well as I want to make the water cooled setup based if the grey and plasma copper color of the newest version of Asus's ROG series parts.

Currently the rig will drive a 1080p panel, but I'm shopping for a 1440p ultra wide, add I think those are a much better choice than a multi monitor setup, ash least for a strictly gaming rig.

How has everyone here been, well I hope?
<iframe src="http://www.worldcomm...e&special=true" frameborder="0" name="di" scrolling="no" width="405px" height="145px"></iframe>

#2 Johnny Cool

Johnny Cool

Johnny Cool

• Moderators
  • 15,863 posts

Posted 04 October 2015 - 09:00 AM

Sorry it's been so long since I've been around, right now I'm a patient art Kenmore Mercy hospital in buffalo having had back surgery on Wed Sept 30. The removed the instrumentation from my 1994 fusion,l2-l3 & l3-l4 and then fused L4-L5 & L5-S1.

I had a couple rough days but overall I'm surprised his well I'm doing such a short time following the surgery.

On an even more promising note I've got the following sitting at home waiting to be assembled:

Design S case
i7-6700K
Corsair Hydro Series H110 GTX aio cpu cooler
Asus Maximus VIII Hero motherboard
16GB Ripjaw V DDR4 3200mhz
Asus 980 ti Strix videocard
Samsung 850 Evo 1TB
EVGA SupwrNova 850 watt Power Supply
Corsair fans - 2 SP140 & 2 AF140
Win 7 Pro (I'll decide about Win 10 later)

I'm going SSD only since I have qnap NAS for bulk data storage so the ssf will be the OS, MS Office and games only.

I've also ordered a gunmetal grey SMA8 from Caselab but it's still 6 weeks out, and I may want to miss it a bit when it arrives.

I decided against the X99 add in all honestly I don't do much performance computing besides gaming. If I could have games myself into anything besides the 5960x I would have went X99, but I kept coming back to go big or stay home.

Once the SMA8 arrives I'll be adding a second gpu and water cooling all of it with a custom loop. The current plan would have me replacing the motherboard as well as I want to make the water cooled setup based if the grey and plasma copper color of the newest version of Asus's ROG series parts.

Currently the rig will drive a 1080p panel, but I'm shopping for a 1440p ultra wide, add I think those are a much better choice than a multi monitor setup, ash least for a strictly gaming rig.

How has everyone here been, well I hope?

DarkStar, glad to see you posting here again! What a PC you are building; it should be awesome and yes, Windows 10 (for me) may be awhile for several reasons. TMI on 'teh interwebs' for me.  As soon as I get my email set up again, I may PM you about your back and other stuff. :phone:

Oh well, time get ready for some football! Maybe that will make me feel better. :lol:

#3 DarkStar

DarkStar

Forum Demi-God

• Valued Member
  • 1,562 posts

Posted 11 October 2015 - 09:14 AM

I've for the system built, now I've just got to get the OS and everything installed
<iframe src="http://www.worldcomm...e&special=true" frameborder="0" name="di" scrolling="no" width="405px" height="145px"></iframe>

#4 Andrax

Andrax

Andrax.Net Admin

• Site Admin
  • 9,375 posts

Posted 11 October 2015 - 09:17 AM

Sorry to hear about your back man! That sucks.

That new PC should definitely keep you from being too bored during your recovery.  Bout time for me to tear my rig apart and start upgrading. Getting a little long in the tooth, at least on the CPU/GPU side of things.

#5 DarkStar

DarkStar

Forum Demi-God

• Valued Member
  • 1,562 posts

Posted 12 October 2015 - 11:42 AM

Okay, it's up and running, now I've just got to download some games so I can actually enjoy it.

I haven't overclocked anything yet, probably will start messing with that in a couple days.

#6 DarkStar

DarkStar

Forum Demi-God

• Valued Member
  • 1,562 posts

Posted 13 October 2015 - 08:55 PM

Up and running, giving me 14K+ on Firestrike before doing any overclocking.

#7 Johnny Cool

Johnny Cool

Johnny Cool

• Moderators
  • 15,863 posts

Posted 15 October 2015 - 09:23 AM

Geez, that is awesome at crunching too! I'd like to get something very close to that rig! :D

#8 DarkStar

DarkStar

Forum Demi-God

• Valued Member
  • 1,562 posts

Posted 16 October 2015 - 12:01 AM

Geez, that is awesome at crunching too! I'd like to get something very close to that rig! :D

Yeah, it should be, and yes I've started crunching again, my old all in one cooler wasn't doing well running 24/7 so I had to stop until I got this one built.

Now I'm drooling over the soon to be released Acer Predator X34 monitor. I've lived the idea of the 21:9 ultra wide monitors since I saw the first one, it makes so much more sense for a gaming setup than multiple monitors. This is a 21:9 1440p curved IPS monitor with G-sync.

The only negatives are that it's only 60hz panel, although it's advertised as overclockable to 100hz (I'll have to see what's sacrificed to get the extra refresh rate) and of course the $1300 price tag is gives new pause.

#9 Johnny Cool

Johnny Cool

Johnny Cool

• Moderators
  • 15,863 posts

Posted 16 October 2015 - 12:58 PM

Yeah, it should be, and yes I've started crunching again, my old all in one cooler wasn't doing well running 24/7 so I had to stop until I got this one built.

Now I'm drooling over the soon to be released Acer Predator X34 monitor. I've lived the idea of the 21:9 ultra wide monitors since I saw the first one, it makes so much more sense for a gaming setup than multiple monitors. This is a 21:9 1440p curved IPS monitor with G-sync.

The only negatives are that it's only 60hz panel, although it's advertised as overclockable to 100hz (I'll have to see what's sacrificed to get the extra refresh rate) and of course the $1300 price tag is gives new pause.

overclockable to 100hz? That would be cool!

#10 deaded

deaded

Thought Moderator

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,803 posts

Posted 28 October 2015 - 04:30 PM

Hey buddy!  Good to see you!  Sorry about the back.  I hope you are feeling better.  Backs suck.  Too bad you didn't talk with me as I would have recommended that you purchase the extended warranty.  Normally I'm not a fan of that but I do think it's worth it for body parts.  

I'm glad you're not dead (though I recently did come back from the Dead).  Man, that machine you are building looks SWEET!  I'm drooling over that monitor.  It would be perfect for me.  I'm not crazy about curved TVs but for monitors it's perfect!  Too bad about the refresh rate.  Maybe hold out a few months and see if they come out with at 120Hz model as it will make your FPS much better.  We should get together and do some sniping.  I've been sick and off work for two months and I'm climbing the walls, as I imagine you are.  I hope to get back to work on monday though (though it's more up to the department of public health that it is me).  I feel all better.  As an aside, I thought I was ready to retire but this illness showed me that I'll go crazy in retirement (more crazy).  I'll push it back to 60 and hopefully I'll have enough money to have a very cush retirement and then start spending money.  But sitting at home is driving me nuts.

Dyslexics are teople poo

#11 deaded

deaded

Thought Moderator

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,803 posts

Posted 28 October 2015 - 04:32 PM

I ended up with this monitor and I'm really happy with it, but I'd rather have yours...

Dell U3014

Dyslexics are teople poo

#12 DarkStar

DarkStar

Forum Demi-God

• Valued Member
  • 1,562 posts

Posted 02 November 2015 - 10:18 PM

Hey Deaded my friend, how have you been?

I've really been missing times wet had on the Muthaboards, it was such I blast.

It's not my monitor yet, Newegg had been driving me nuts, they area advertising out all over hell and back but they have yet to get any in stock

#13 Menelaus

Menelaus

Mini-mene

• Moderators
  • 13,841 posts

Posted 06 January 2016 - 04:21 PM

No monitor updates?  I'm not changing mine until the new GPUs are out and I can justify replacing the GTX780 I'm current running.

But everyone prefers one ultra wide 144hz beast to two 27inch 144hz lesser fiends?

"It is the job of the judges to ensure that the government of the day does not exceed its powers, which is a permanent desire of all governments." Lord Donaldson of Lymington

Brigadier: Naturally enough, the only country that could be trusted with such a role was Great Britain.
The Doctor: Naturally. I mean, the rest were all foreigners.

#14 Menelaus

Menelaus

Mini-mene

• Moderators
  • 13,841 posts

Posted 07 January 2016 - 10:42 AM

Although the Pred does look rather tasty.

http://www.ncix.com/...87&promoid=2038

118287_l.jpg

"It is the job of the judges to ensure that the government of the day does not exceed its powers, which is a permanent desire of all governments." Lord Donaldson of Lymington

Brigadier: Naturally enough, the only country that could be trusted with such a role was Great Britain.

#15 Mofo Jones

Mofo Jones

Forum God

• Moderators
  • 12,268 posts

Posted 29 January 2016 - 09:50 PM

I'm still rocking the SAME EXACT DESKTOP BUILD I HAD IN 2005, which is still mostly parts from 2002.  Long in the tooth, indeed!   My laptop is newer than that, but it isn't much of a gaming machine.   Oh, and my monitor?  19" 4:3 Viewsonic, baby.  (Howard Dean type YEAAAAAAHHH!!!) 

Posted Image

#16 Menelaus

Menelaus

Mini-mene

• Moderators
  • 13,841 posts

Posted 03 February 2016 - 11:04 AM

I'm still rocking the SAME EXACT DESKTOP BUILD I HAD IN 2005, which is still mostly parts from 2002.  Long in the tooth, indeed!   My laptop is newer than that, but it isn't much of a gaming machine.   Oh, and my monitor?  19" 4:3 Viewsonic, baby.  (Howard Dean type YEAAAAAAHHH!!!) 

I can just about picture your Steampunk rig, all cogs and dripping water