Photo

My computer diet...(died - fixed that for you)

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#1 deaded

deaded

Thought Moderator

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,803 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 09:17 PM

My computer died.  It was 7 years old, definitely time for a new one (slowest one in the house by far).  So after making two for my son in the past two and a half years, I built my own.  It was pretty fun.  Saved a couple thousand by doing it this way.  I don't know if you yuys are still up on computer stuff.  Just wondering if you had any thoughts.  16 TB of hard drive space, 750 GB of SSD space, 32 GB of 2133 Mhz RAM, i7-4930, Nvidia GTX770 video card, etc...

This is the stuff I bought....

2 WD BLACK SERIES WD4003FZEX 4TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive
2 Seagate Enterprise Capacity 3.5 HDD (Constellation ES) 4TB 7200RPM 6Gbps SAS 128 MB Cache Internal Hard Drive
1 Cooler Master Cosmos II - Ultra Tower Computer CASE ATX-E (HUGE, 3 feet tall!!)
1 1 x SeaSonic Platinum-1000 1000W ATX12V / EPS12V 80 PLUS PLATINUM Certified Full Modular Power Supply
1 Intel Core i7-4930K Ivy Bridge-E 6-Core 3.4GHz LGA 2011 130W Desktop Processor BX80633i74930K
1 Arctic Silver 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver Thermal Compound AS5-3.5G - OEM
1 ASUS Rampage IV Black Edition LGA 2011 Intel X79 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Extended ATX Intel Motherboard
1 CORSAIR Vengeance Pro 32GB (4 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2133 Desktop Memory Model CMY16GX3M2A2133C9R
1 Samsung Electronics 840 Pro Series 2.5-Inch 512 SATA_6 GB/s Solid State Drive MZ-7PD512BW
1 Samsung Electronics 840 Pro Series 2.5-Inch 256 GB SATA 6GB/s Solid State Drive MZ-7PD256BW
1 Archgon Slot-loading Internal Blu-ray Burner with One Bay for 2.5"/3.5" drive
1 ASUS GTX770-DC2OC-2GD5 GeForce GTX770 2GB GDDR5 256-bit, DVI-I/DVI-D/ HDMI/DP PCI-Express 3.0 SLI ready Graphic Card OC-selected 1110MHz core
1 Be Quiet! Dark Rock 3 CPU Cooler LGA775/1150/1155/1156/1366/2011 FM1/FM2/AM2/AM3

Any suggestions?

Dyslexics are teople poo

#2 deaded

deaded

Thought Moderator

• Valued Member
  • 7,803 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 09:19 PM

Also, I meant "died" in the topic title, not "diet."  

This is not my computer diet.  I will have to think about what my diet should be and get back to you on that.

Edited by Mofo Jones, 26 October 2014 - 06:03 AM.
I altered your topic title. Pray I do not alter it further.

Dyslexics are teople poo

#3 Johnny Cool

Johnny Cool

Johnny Cool

• Moderators
  • 15,863 posts

Posted 03 September 2014 - 07:47 AM

My computer died.  It was 7 years old, definitely time for a new one (slowest one in the house by far).  So after making two for my son in the past two and a half years, I built my own.  It was pretty fun.  Saved a couple thousand by doing it this way.  I don't know if you yuys are still up on computer stuff.  Just wondering if you had any thoughts.  16 TB of hard drive space, 750 GB of SSD space, 32 GB of 2133 Mhz RAM, i7-4930, Nvidia GTX770 video card, etc...

This is the stuff I bought....

2 WD BLACK SERIES WD4003FZEX 4TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive
2 Seagate Enterprise Capacity 3.5 HDD (Constellation ES) 4TB 7200RPM 6Gbps SAS 128 MB Cache Internal Hard Drive
1 Cooler Master Cosmos II - Ultra Tower Computer CASE ATX-E (HUGE, 3 feet tall!!)
1 1 x SeaSonic Platinum-1000 1000W ATX12V / EPS12V 80 PLUS PLATINUM Certified Full Modular Power Supply
1 Intel Core i7-4930K Ivy Bridge-E 6-Core 3.4GHz LGA 2011 130W Desktop Processor BX80633i74930K
1 Arctic Silver 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver Thermal Compound AS5-3.5G - OEM
1 ASUS Rampage IV Black Edition LGA 2011 Intel X79 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Extended ATX Intel Motherboard
1 CORSAIR Vengeance Pro 32GB (4 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2133 Desktop Memory Model CMY16GX3M2A2133C9R
1 Samsung Electronics 840 Pro Series 2.5-Inch 512 SATA_6 GB/s Solid State Drive MZ-7PD512BW
1 Samsung Electronics 840 Pro Series 2.5-Inch 256 GB SATA 6GB/s Solid State Drive MZ-7PD256BW
1 Archgon Slot-loading Internal Blu-ray Burner with One Bay for 2.5"/3.5" drive
1 ASUS GTX770-DC2OC-2GD5 GeForce GTX770 2GB GDDR5 256-bit, DVI-I/DVI-D/ HDMI/DP PCI-Express 3.0 SLI ready Graphic Card OC-selected 1110MHz core
1 Be Quiet! Dark Rock 3 CPU Cooler LGA775/1150/1155/1156/1366/2011 FM1/FM2/AM2/AM3

Any suggestions?

That is a whack of hard drives (great stuff though).. Still up to date with most stuff concerning PC's because I am a cruncher! And most crunchers know their stuff (Distributed Computing folks really, really are up to date with just about anything). 

Why that many internal hard drives?

/goes to newegg to see if any of those are like WD My Cloud EX2 4TB Personal Cloud Storage or similar. Other than that, you knocked this puppy out of the park! Helluva mosheen!

#4 deaded

deaded

Thought Moderator

• Valued Member
  • 7,803 posts

Posted 04 September 2014 - 12:59 AM

So many drives because I'm backing everything up. So it's really just the 500G SSD and the two WD 4TB drives.  It's got my artwork and lots of video (movies, family stuff, music, old films).  The other SSD is for cache for Photoshop and Corel Painter, though it does not get used as much since I went from 8 to 32G of ram.  I've been very happy so far and it's been fast and as quiet as a mouse.  The only thing I worry about is that the cpu cooler I used is abutting two sticks of ram.  it does not seem like it should be an issue, two heatsinks touching, but there is a little pressure.  It may be nothing or may be a weak point in my system.  We will see.

Dyslexics are teople poo

#5 Menelaus

Menelaus

Mini-mene

• Moderators
  • 13,841 posts

Posted 04 September 2014 - 08:55 AM

My PC must be about the same vintage.

I was thinking of finding a manufacturer for a new one, I certainly can't build one myself - some of us don't have the hands of a physician.

I use PCPartpicker.com to help with choosing components.

I'll test run that rig of yours for a year or two if you want to package it north.

I'm looking at a much more humble build of:

i7-4770

Asus Z-87

2x8Gb DDR3

250Gb SSD

GTX 770

I can swap in my old hard drives for 4Tb of storage.

What OS have you selected?

"It is the job of the judges to ensure that the government of the day does not exceed its powers, which is a permanent desire of all governments." Lord Donaldson of Lymington

Brigadier: Naturally enough, the only country that could be trusted with such a role was Great Britain.
The Doctor: Naturally. I mean, the rest were all foreigners.

#6 Menelaus

Menelaus

Mini-mene

• Moderators
  • 13,841 posts

Posted 04 September 2014 - 01:12 PM

Just read an interesting article on the Haswell-E 

Here: http://www.rockpaper...ly-interesting/

LGA2011 chipset, DDR4. 

Why do I always want to buy at the end of the future proof life cycle?

"It is the job of the judges to ensure that the government of the day does not exceed its powers, which is a permanent desire of all governments." Lord Donaldson of Lymington

Brigadier: Naturally enough, the only country that could be trusted with such a role was Great Britain.

#7 deaded

deaded

Thought Moderator

• Valued Member
  • 7,803 posts

Posted 04 September 2014 - 02:17 PM

Well, I did get a board with the 2011 chipset but went with DDR3 because it's MUCH cheaper and I'm not convinced DDR4 is much faster.  Of course the new motherboards are just coming out now so we will see as there has not been any realistic benchmarking.  But I could not wait (I was computerless if you don't count the other 4 PCs, and six tablets at home) and I wanted a MB that was proven stable and parts that were sure to go together.  I think this machine will last at least 5 years, probably more.  It's such a pleasure to draw on my tablet now; it's sooooooo fast!

I installed Windows 7 Ultimate.  I used my old windows disk since my other computer died and you are allowed to transfer.  I honestly did not know they were dropping support for windows 7 at the beginning of next year.  I think that really sucks.  I don't know what I'm going to do.  We have windows 8 on another machine and I really don't like it.  I love win7.   I imagine I'll have to reinstall everything again, took me three days this time.  Bummer.  But I'm going to hold out as long as I can.  Maybe Windows 9 will come out.

The ASUS Z-87 boards are really great.  We used a Z-87 SAbertooth to build my son's newest machine and it's almost as fast as this.  You can only notice the difference with benchmarks, not when using any application.  But if I were you I'd probably get the Z-97s which just came out so that you can drop in the newer processors if you want to upgrade later.  A 250G SSD should be fine.  I got a 500G because I had the 250G on my prior machine and had only 30G left and wanted elbow room, but kept the 250 for cache.   You'll love the GTX770.  Only reason to get the 780 would be if you wanted to game at 2560x1600 (which was my new years resolution).  That's what I'm running but really don't game anymore.  Maybe that will change when Battlefront 3 come out though.

PCpartpicker.com is a great site.  It really helped me a lot and there are some very informative and helpful people there.

Mene, don't sell yourself short.  It's really not that hard to build your own.  You'd be surprised.  You just need half a brain; I imagine you can borrow another 1/4 from someone else. 

But seriously, I'll be happy to help talk you through it if you decide to try.

Dyslexics are teople poo

#8 deaded

deaded

Thought Moderator

• Valued Member
  • 7,803 posts

Posted 04 September 2014 - 02:28 PM

Good article Mene, thanks for that link.  Yeah, I'm sure I would have ended up with the newer chipset and mobo if I had a year to wait for prices to drop to realistic levels and for the initial kinks to be ironed out of the new mobo bioses.  But gone are the days when I needed the very very fastest.  I still want it but now, to me, stability is more important and I've lived through too many problems while living on the cutting edge.

Dyslexics are teople poo

#9 Menelaus

Menelaus

Mini-mene

• Moderators
  • 13,841 posts

Posted 04 September 2014 - 07:50 PM

4790K is same price as 4770K and I can't see why.

I also priced the Z97 and I think you are right (but then your wife always tells you that so you don't need to hear it from me).

That case is insan, btw.

Hmm, I just to pick a suitable case and I think I'm good to get this from NCIX.

Bang goes my plan to buy a Canon EF 200m 2.8L ahead of hockey season.

#10 deaded

deaded

Thought Moderator

• Valued Member
  • 7,803 posts

Posted 05 September 2014 - 12:37 PM

Ooo, that's a nice lens.  

I don't think my wife's lips can form the words, "You're right."

Also, I was just reading about MS stopping Win7 support...

"Mainstream, free support is ending on January 13, 2015 for a number of major Microsoft products, including all versions of Windows 7 (Enterprise, Home Basic, Home Premium, Ultimate and Starter). Extended support for Windows 7 lasts until January 14, 2020, so users can expect to continue to receive free security updates, but not feature updates, for Windows 7 until that point. For those running Windows 7 with Service Pack 1 applied, the end of mainstream and extended support dates are the same -- January 13, 2015 and January 14, 2020, respectively -- given there is no Windows 7 SP2."

I'm ok with this. At least there are security updates.

Edited by deaded, 05 September 2014 - 12:38 PM.

Dyslexics are teople poo

#11 deaded

deaded

Thought Moderator

• Valued Member
  • 7,803 posts

Posted 08 September 2014 - 07:57 PM

Ack!  So after my last post my computer started crashing.  Tons of blue screens and for a while it would not even boot in safe mode.  I was able to roll back settings to last week and then started playing with the RAM because it said there were memory errors.  Ran the windows memtest and it came back with hardware errors 3 out of 4 times.  I took out two sticks of ram, running OK, but did get a few crashes.  I RMA'd the RAM and ordered new stuff.  I'm waiting for the new RAM to arrive, then I realized something.  I bought 2133MHz RAM but the system sees it as 1333.  I had read that this is the case and that I need to change the DRAM settings in the bios; I had done that when I first bulit the system last week.  I did a lot more reading the past couple days and I think I screwed up.  I was supposed to enable XMP which will set the RAM voltage and timing correctly.  All I had done was increase the DRAM MHz.  I did not change the voltage which was 1.0 (should be at 1.6 if the RAM is running at 2133).  I finally figured out where the XMP setting was, set it, and I **think** I **might** have it running OK now. We will see.  I ran prime95 for an hour and it was stable.  I'll probably keep this same RAM if that's the case. 

I think this happened because I told you how easy it is, Mene.

Dyslexics are teople poo

#12 Johnny Cool

Johnny Cool

Johnny Cool

• Moderators
  • 15,863 posts

Posted 09 September 2014 - 07:12 AM

Ack!  So after my last post my computer started crashing.  Tons of blue screens and for a while it would not even boot in safe mode.  I was able to roll back settings to last week and then started playing with the RAM because it said there were memory errors.  Ran the windows memtest and it came back with hardware errors 3 out of 4 times.  I took out two sticks of ram, running OK, but did get a few crashes.  I RMA'd the RAM and ordered new stuff.  I'm waiting for the new RAM to arrive, then I realized something.  I bought 2133MHz RAM but the system sees it as 1333.  I had read that this is the case and that I need to change the DRAM settings in the bios; I had done that when I first bulit the system last week.  I did a lot more reading the past couple days and I think I screwed up.  I was supposed to enable XMP which will set the RAM voltage and timing correctly.  All I had done was increase the DRAM MHz.  I did not change the voltage which was 1.0 (should be at 1.6 if the RAM is running at 2133).  I finally figured out where the XMP setting was, set it, and I **think** I **might** have it running OK now. We will see.  I ran prime95 for an hour and it was stable.  I'll probably keep this same RAM if that's the case. 

I think this happened because I told you how easy it is, Mene.

deaded, oh yes: "Murphy's Law". One of them at least. :icon_razz:  Running prime for an hour without anty errors is a very good sign. Good Luck! 

#13 Menelaus

Menelaus

Mini-mene

• Moderators
  • 13,841 posts

Posted 09 September 2014 - 02:21 PM

Well you spurred me to action, rather than sitting on my arse watching Yorkshire close in on the County Championship.

Not a "prime" rig like Deaded's but it will serve me well and I don't have to assemble it or work out RAM timings and the like.

ASRock Z97-Extemem6 LGA1150

I7-4790K 4Ghz Haswell

Be Quiet Dark Rock 3 heatsink

4x4Gb Ripjaw DDr3-1866

EVGA Geforce GTX770 SC 1111MHz

Samsung EVO 840 Pro 256Gb

Phantek Enthoo Pro - try typing that when drunk.  (1/3rd the cost of the behemoth Deaded uses)

WD 1Tb HD (and I will add the spares from my current rig to add another 3Tbs)

ASUS DVD writer (because, Science!)

And I hummed and hahed but finally went for Win8.1 for my sins.

Should be here in about a week.

#14 deaded

deaded

Thought Moderator

• Valued Member
  • 7,803 posts

Posted 10 September 2014 - 05:38 PM

NICE mene!!  You have a better system than I do for gaming.  Faster cores and a great motherboard.  Mine is great for editing photos/video and good for gaming, yours is gonna be GREAT for gaming!!  I approve of your heatsink choice.  The video card is great and you can add another if you want to make your gaming even faster when new stuff comes out.  16g of ram?  Seems good.  No need for more unless you want a huge ram drive or are editing video or big photos with lots of layers.  Good looking case.  Never heard of it.  My case is just TOO big.  I can't fit it under my desk.  It's on top now and dominates the room.  Wife is not happy but she admits it looks really cool so will let me keep it (apparently she is my mom too).  I'm excited to see how it turns out.  I got a Razer orbweaver game pad (like the old Nostromo) but I have no games yet (should probably download Assassins Creed that came with my video card).  I can't wait for Battlefront 3.  Don't really want to install older games yet.  I'm still jonsing for the old Jedi Knight Academy game.  That would be fun.  

JC, yes.  Murphy and I are old friends.  

Well, maybe not friends.  But so far so good. We will see.

Dyslexics are teople poo

#15 Johnny Cool

Johnny Cool

Johnny Cool

• Moderators
  • 15,863 posts

Posted 11 September 2014 - 07:53 AM

Well you spurred me to action, rather than sitting on my arse watching Yorkshire close in on the County Championship.

Not a "prime" rig like Deaded's but it will serve me well and I don't have to assemble it or work out RAM timings and the like.

ASRock Z97-Extemem6 LGA1150

I7-4790K 4Ghz Haswell

Be Quiet Dark Rock 3 heatsink

4x4Gb Ripjaw DDr3-1866

EVGA Geforce GTX770 SC 1111MHz

Samsung EVO 840 Pro 256Gb

Phantek Enthoo Pro - try typing that when drunk.  (1/3rd the cost of the behemoth Deaded uses)

WD 1Tb HD (and I will add the spares from my current rig to add another 3Tbs)

And I hummed and hahed but finally went for Win8.1 for my sins.

Should be here in about a week.

Mene, an outstanding build and choice of components  :thumbsup: 

#16 deaded

deaded

Thought Moderator

• Valued Member
  • 7,803 posts

Posted 13 September 2014 - 12:48 PM

Careful!   You almost blinded me!

Dyslexics are teople poo

#17 Johnny Cool

Johnny Cool

Johnny Cool

• Moderators
  • 15,863 posts

Posted 15 September 2014 - 08:19 AM

Careful!   You almost blinded me!

Careful there, Dr, Dolby!  :D 

#18 deaded

deaded

Thought Moderator

• Valued Member
  • 7,803 posts

Posted 18 September 2014 - 04:44 AM

Back to the old topic.  I ran the Corsair ram for a while and again had weird problems after two days.  The G.Skill ram came and I put it in and so far no issues.  I was an idiot not to have ordered the 32g package; it did not show up on my search and two 16g packages seemed fine.  Now they say that you need to get the full kit. Anyway, so far so good.  But if there are any more issues I'll return these G.Skills and get a 32g kit.  it's actually fifty bucks less but I can't see sending it back for that since I was the idiot.

Dyslexics are teople poo

#19 deaded

deaded

Thought Moderator

• Valued Member
  • 7,803 posts

Posted 18 September 2014 - 04:45 AM

Oh yeah, and, did your computer arrive???

Dyslexics are teople poo

#20 deaded

deaded

Thought Moderator

• Valued Member
  • 7,803 posts

Posted 19 September 2014 - 07:35 PM

So I guess you are too busy to talk to us now Mene?  

I had a bad experience this morning.  Got home around 3 AM and played some Jedi Acadamy on my computer.  the system has been up for eight days, no reboot.  So I figured I'd reboot and fiddle with the BIOS a bit.   I shut it down and it blue screened.  Would not start up again.  Would not even post!!  If I had hair I'd tear it out.  Then I thought of something.  It was doing this last week before I put the new memory in and at that time, in frustration, I unplugged everything in the back.  Then when it was up I plugged everything in.  So my thought was this... I have a powered USB3 hub.  I unplugged the hub and it booted fine!  I plugged in the hub and it ran fine.  So maybe the power going through the hub bothered my motherboard?  I don't know.  Lots of stress building your own computer.  I did not have a single problem with my two previous builds.  I don't know.  Good thing you didn't build yours Mene.

Dyslexics are teople poo

#21 deaded

deaded

Thought Moderator

• Valued Member
  • 7,803 posts

Posted 20 September 2014 - 01:12 AM

my computer diet

computer-as-food-1111.jpg

Dyslexics are teople poo

#22 Johnny Cool

Johnny Cool

Johnny Cool

• Moderators
  • 15,863 posts

Posted 21 September 2014 - 12:04 PM

my computer diet

computer-as-food-1111.jpg

Glad to see your PC is back ok.The hub question? Don't really know yet that has to be factored in. Usually taking the ram out and placing the sticks back in after all that troubleshooting is a good idea. Those memory sticks have a mind of their own. Bad pun yes, what would Obi-Wan Kenobi say? 

Edit: My spalling-checker bites!

Edited by Johnny Cool, 21 September 2014 - 12:06 PM.

#23 deaded

deaded

Thought Moderator

• Valued Member
  • 7,803 posts

Posted 21 September 2014 - 11:25 PM

So I did a google search on BSOD and USB3 hub and there seem to be a number of people who had the exact same issue.  Seems that it's a driver issue and I'll try and fiddle with that but I have about 15 USB inputs so I'll just do without a hub for the time being. At least it's not my mobo, CPU, or RAM (so far).

Edited by deaded, 21 September 2014 - 11:26 PM.

Dyslexics are teople poo

#24 Johnny Cool

Johnny Cool

Johnny Cool

• Moderators
  • 15,863 posts

Posted 23 September 2014 - 07:38 AM

So I did a google search on BSOD and USB3 hub and there seem to be a number of people who had the exact same issue.  Seems that it's a driver issue and I'll try and fiddle with that but I have about 15 USB inputs so I'll just do without a hub for the time being. At least it's not my mobo, CPU, or RAM (so far).

You got that right, pilgrim.  :icon_razz: 

(John Wayne movie quote)

#25 deaded

deaded

Thought Moderator

• Valued Member
  • 7,803 posts

Posted 24 September 2014 - 01:10 PM

"Yup, out here a man settles his own problems."

Dyslexics are teople poo