4 replies to this topic

#1 DarkStar

DarkStar

Forum Demi-God

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,563 posts

Posted 25 December 2013 - 12:30 PM

If you are one of the 4 people on the planet that does not have Left 4 Dead 2 Valve is giving it away for free, but today only, actually until 1pm EDT tomorrow.

Also if you didn't realize it the Steam Christmas sale started a few days ago and runs until January 2nd.

<iframe src="http://www.worldcomm...e&special=true" frameborder="0" name="di" scrolling="no" width="405px" height="145px"></iframe>

#2 Johnny Cool

Johnny Cool

Johnny Cool

• Moderators
  • 15,863 posts

Posted 26 December 2013 - 08:34 AM

If you are one of the 4 people on the planet that does not have Left 4 Dead 2 Valve is giving it away for free, but today only, actually until 1pm EDT tomorrow.

Also if you didn't realize it the Steam Christmas sale started a few days ago and runs until January 2nd.

When I got my new gpu  Radeon HD7850 (well, it's not that new now), I told popeyecu that I did not need (Biohazard?) the two games that was free to me. Brutal year for me. One of these days, I will tell  just about everyone. :blink:

#3 DarkStar

DarkStar

Forum Demi-God

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,563 posts

Posted 27 December 2013 - 12:11 AM

Sorry to hear that JC, if you ever want to talk I'm here for you man, I can pm you my home, cell or work number anytime you want.

I can't wait for this year to be over either, been a bad year, vehicle wise for use. It started in the summer when I decided to buy my mother's car for my wife since my mother now lives in a memory care wing of a local adult residential center. I have POA for my mother and could not find the title anywhere so I sent for a new one, meanwhile everything was expiring so I renewed the registration and insurance, paying for it myself of course, and the new sticker and insurance slip came in so I gave them to my wife.

Well a few months later my wife calls me crying, it seems she came out of a store downtown and the police were at the car and claimed she was driving without insurance and with revoked registration (due to lapsed insurance) so a few calls later I found out that what I had paid was the homeowners insurance, and they had never notified me that the car insurance wasn't paid. Well since it was lapse for 104 days I couldn't even pay a fine and reregister the car and instead the car had to sit unregistered for 104 days before we could put plates on it (even if we put the sale through it follows the car so we couldn't do anything about it.)

So we became a one vehicle family, with my wife working either 6am to 4pm or 10am to 8pm and myself working from between 6-7am until 5pm. What a royal PITA it was, and then two weeks or so into this I hit a deer while doing 55 mph. Thankfully I was in my expedition, the deer was huge and had it been in my wife's car it would have likely come in through the windshield, we were also lucky that while it caused around $3,500 in damages it was still drivable, short term, so we could continue to use it until my body shop could squeeze it in, although while my deductible is only $50, which my body shop guy refused to charge us. we don't have rental insurance for while my guy was very fast I still ended up paying over $500 for a rental while it was in the shop.

So on December 20th we go to the DMV to transfer ownership on the car, register it and get plates for it and as we are driving out there is suddenly a very loud and horrible sounding grinding noise coming from my right rear tire, I pull over and check it and can't see anything, so I decide to take it to a friend's garage, which thankfully happed to be not 50 yards up the road. By the time we get there, driving real slow of course, there is a hammering coming from that same area that you can feel through the truck. The send a mechanic right out, because they heard it and he puts it right on the lift. Between Friday when I pulled into their lot, and Christmas Eve at 3pm he had various guys working on it, and half the time more then one, but as soon as it hit the lift the noise stopped, they were never able to repeat it and were unable to find anything that could have possibly been causing it (again the only bright side is he refused to charge me anything for the roughly 40 man hours he had into it, and only charged me for an oil change that he did, which it was scheduled to come in for next week.)

Oh and I found out on Monday that my father in law had got a brand new 4 wheeler with a plow, last Saturday, and was letting my nephew and son (12 years old and 14 years old respectively) ride it around there house since neither had ever ridden one before, and they did fine until they hit a pothole and lost control and hit a tree which totaled the plow and bent the frame of the 4 wheeler. Thankfully the boys weren't hurt, which was especially lucky since they were not wearing helmets, which as you can imagine doesn't NOT make me happy.

It took every ounce of willpower I had not to tear into my father in law and point out how incredibly stupid it was to not only let them ride it but to let them do so without a helmet is inexcusable. As luck would have it he left the day after I heard about this for a 17 day trip to Africa , so maybe I'll cool off by the time he gets home.

Is it 2014 yet?

<iframe src="http://www.worldcomm...e&special=true" frameborder="0" name="di" scrolling="no" width="405px" height="145px"></iframe>

#4 Johnny Cool

Johnny Cool

Johnny Cool

• Moderators
  • 15,863 posts

Posted 27 December 2013 - 08:27 AM

Sorry to hear that JC, if you ever want to talk I'm here for you man, I can pm you my home, cell or work number anytime you want.

I can't wait for this year to be over either, been a bad year, vehicle wise for use. It started in the summer when I decided to buy my mother's car for my wife since my mother now lives in a memory care wing of a local adult residential center. I have POA for my mother and could not find the title anywhere so I sent for a new one, meanwhile everything was expiring so I renewed the registration and insurance, paying for it myself of course, and the new sticker and insurance slip came in so I gave them to my wife.

Well a few months later my wife calls me crying, it seems she came out of a store downtown and the police were at the car and claimed she was driving without insurance and with revoked registration (due to lapsed insurance) so a few calls later I found out that what I had paid was the homeowners insurance, and they had never notified me that the car insurance wasn't paid. Well since it was lapse for 104 days I couldn't even pay a fine and reregister the car and instead the car had to sit unregistered for 104 days before we could put plates on it (even if we put the sale through it follows the car so we couldn't do anything about it.)

So we became a one vehicle family, with my wife working either 6am to 4pm or 10am to 8pm and myself working from between 6-7am until 5pm. What a royal PITA it was, and then two weeks or so into this I hit a deer while doing 55 mph. Thankfully I was in my expedition, the deer was huge and had it been in my wife's car it would have likely come in through the windshield, we were also lucky that while it caused around $3,500 in damages it was still drivable, short term, so we could continue to use it until my body shop could squeeze it in, although while my deductible is only $50, which my body shop guy refused to charge us. we don't have rental insurance for while my guy was very fast I still ended up paying over $500 for a rental while it was in the shop.

So on December 20th we go to the DMV to transfer ownership on the car, register it and get plates for it and as we are driving out there is suddenly a very loud and horrible sounding grinding noise coming from my right rear tire, I pull over and check it and can't see anything, so I decide to take it to a friend's garage, which thankfully happed to be not 50 yards up the road. By the time we get there, driving real slow of course, there is a hammering coming from that same area that you can feel through the truck. The send a mechanic right out, because they heard it and he puts it right on the lift. Between Friday when I pulled into their lot, and Christmas Eve at 3pm he had various guys working on it, and half the time more then one, but as soon as it hit the lift the noise stopped, they were never able to repeat it and were unable to find anything that could have possibly been causing it (again the only bright side is he refused to charge me anything for the roughly 40 man hours he had into it, and only charged me for an oil change that he did, which it was scheduled to come in for next week.)

Oh and I found out on Monday that my father in law had got a brand new 4 wheeler with a plow, last Saturday, and was letting my nephew and son (12 years old and 14 years old respectively) ride it around there house since neither had ever ridden one before, and they did fine until they hit a pothole and lost control and hit a tree which totaled the plow and bent the frame of the 4 wheeler. Thankfully the boys weren't hurt, which was especially lucky since they were not wearing helmets, which as you can imagine doesn't NOT make me happy.

It took every ounce of willpower I had not to tear into my father in law and point out how incredibly stupid it was to not only let them ride it but to let them do so without a helmet is inexcusable. As luck would have it he left the day after I heard about this for a 17 day trip to Africa , so maybe I'll cool off by the time he gets home.

Is it 2014 yet?

only charged me for an oil change that he did, which it was scheduled to come in for next week.

Sometimes we all get a break *while* Murphy's Law is in play.And about the *not wearing* helmets was extremely ....

Oh well, thank goodness that the boys were ok! Wow! Maybe he should spend a whole month there. :blink:

Hopefully, 2014 will be a great year for a change. I pray that it will because 2013 was a major fubar! :rolleyes:  

#5 Mofo Jones

Mofo Jones

Forum God

• Moderators
  • 12,268 posts

Posted 25 January 2014 - 08:03 AM

2013 was ok, certainly better than DarkStar's. - we finally bought a house, first kid is in kindergarten and doing well.  I've been doing contract work and am still looking for a permanent job, but we have our collective heads above water.   Here's hoping for a spectacular 2014 for all! 

Also, I got the free Left4Dead 2 as well. 

Edited by Mofo Jones, 25 January 2014 - 08:04 AM.

Posted Image