• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Johnny Cool

Johnny Cool

Johnny Cool

• Moderators
  • 15,863 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 10:38 AM

When you first come to andrax.net, the Board actually looks like at least two things are missing:

Icons showing which Members posted today (seriously, how can you tell if anyone posted recently? There are ways to do this manually, but why take the time? Also, on the right side of the Board is a huge section that was (I think) reserved for posters that posted today.

Just saying ...  :werd:

#2 Johnny Cool

Johnny Cool

Johnny Cool

• Moderators
  • 15,863 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 08:31 AM

When you first come to andrax.net, the Board actually looks like at least two things are missing:

Icons showing which Members posted today (seriously, how can you tell if anyone posted recently? There are ways to do this manually, but why take the time? Also, on the right side of the Board is a huge section that was (I think) reserved for posters that posted today.

:phone:  :online2long:  :blink:

#3 Johnny Cool

Johnny Cool

Johnny Cool

• Moderators
  • 15,863 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 08:08 AM

It's going to take only a little tweaking to get this Board moving. Without reacting to good suggestions may not be a good thing.

The 'front page' here looks bare and desolate. No clear indications who posted what today, yesterday, etc, without wasting precious time,

The entire right panel is BLANK. This would be a very good time to make the needed improvements so that former Board Members will post here again.

So, whoever 'owns' this Board. do you really need Google and Bing to spy on us? Is that silly Facebook/Twit log-in really necessary? Also, as mentioned what seems to be a zillion timses in the WCG thread here, posting is a major pain because of very strange reasons. I dunno, It's on;y on this Board. This Board sees like it us all flash now. Either that or your posts must be short like this one. 

Edited by Johnny Cool, 08 January 2014 - 08:10 AM.

#4 Andrax

Andrax

Andrax.Net Admin

• Site Admin
  • 9,375 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 11:07 AM

It's going to take only a little tweaking to get this Board moving. Without reacting to good suggestions may not be a good thing.

The 'front page' here looks bare and desolate. No clear indications who posted what today, yesterday, etc, without wasting precious time,

The entire right panel is BLANK. This would be a very good time to make the needed improvements so that former Board Members will post here again.

So, whoever 'owns' this Board. do you really need Google and Bing to spy on us? Is that silly Facebook/Twit log-in really necessary? Also, as mentioned what seems to be a zillion timses in the WCG thread here, posting is a major pain because of very strange reasons. I dunno, It's on;y on this Board. This Board sees like it us all flash now. Either that or your posts must be short like this one. 

There isn't any tweaking that is going to result in people coming back to the board JC.  Seriously, the only thing that gets a board moving is traffic, conversation, activity.  It's a chicken & egg scenario to be sure.  Boards don't get traffic unless they have traffic.  But if there isn't any conversation already happening, people won't stick around to start talking.

I'm done spending time researching hacks and customizations for the forums.  I don't have the time, the forum is still online more as an archive for what it once was.  As it always seems to be, everyone that made this forum so great over the years has grown up and moved on in their lives, interests, and found that they no longer have the time or the desire to do more than pop in every few months and check in to see if anyone else has done the same.  

The search engines index the board at the "guest" level which means they can't see anything that requires Member access, which is much of the board.  Aside from regular conversation to draw out members to be more active... good ranking in search engines would also be imperative to drawing in new members to participate in the discussion.  I'm sorry that you don't like the forum layout/design.  I didn't build it, I bought it years ago and keep it mostly updated to try to keep things moving as smoothly as possible.  I'm always sorry to hear that you have issues with the forum... but for the most part, I can never duplicate them.  Best suggestion is always clear your cookies and if that doesn't work, try another browser to see if you are having a client side issues.  There are a number of sites that I visit that don't work right in Chrome for example.  I simply switch to Safari or Firefox for those sites and move on.

Hope that helps.

#5 Mofo Jones

Mofo Jones

Forum God

• Moderators
  • 12,268 posts

Posted 25 January 2014 - 07:58 AM

Uh, hi.

JC, remember that this started as an alternative to the Mutthaboards...what, 10 years ago now? 

Posted Image

#6 DarkStar

DarkStar

Forum Demi-God

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,562 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 10:12 AM

In some ways it's hard to believe it was 10 years ago, but in others it seems like it's only been a couple months!

<iframe src="http://www.worldcomm...e&special=true" frameborder="0" name="di" scrolling="no" width="405px" height="145px"></iframe>

#7 Mofo Jones

Mofo Jones

Forum God

• Moderators
  • 12,268 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 11:33 AM

Yeah, until I pass a mirror. :blink: :pinch: :ph34r:

Posted Image

#8 Holleyman

Holleyman

Forum Demi-God

• Valued Member