6 replies to this topic

#1 Menelaus

Menelaus

Mini-mene

• Moderators
  • 13,841 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 03:23 PM

Damn and blast.
So having had my current system for about 5 years I've finally had a hard drive fritz.

I've got a 250Gb main drive and two backup drives, of 500Gb each.
Somehow I got the drive lettering screwy when I set up the system (or maybe its the fault of the people who built it for me).

Anyway, one of the 500Gb drives started to crap out, but it booted more often than not.
When I realised it was the drive that was failing (rather than heat on the CPU of the GPU) I disconnected the failing drive from the power and SATA connections so that I could use the PC and not worry about making the trouble worse.

I then go and buy a 2TB replacement drive and plug it in and get it set up and think I will transfer all the files over and finally remove the failing drive.
But no! The PC won't boot with the failing drive connected.

So, I can remove it and try the usual - freeze bagging it, twirling it, waiving dowsing rods over it, sacrificing a virgin (never one of those around when you need them).
I could try using an external enclosure and seeing if the PC will connect via USB so removing the issue that something is stopping it on boot up.

I could also throw myself on the mercy of the big brains here and see if you have other thoughts.
"It is the job of the judges to ensure that the government of the day does not exceed its powers, which is a permanent desire of all governments." Lord Donaldson of Lymington

Brigadier: Naturally enough, the only country that could be trusted with such a role was Great Britain.
The Doctor: Naturally. I mean, the rest were all foreigners.

#2 Johnny Cool

Johnny Cool

Johnny Cool

• Moderators
  • 15,863 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 07:01 AM

Damn and blast.
So having had my current system for about 5 years I've finally had a hard drive fritz.

I've got a 250Gb main drive and two backup drives, of 500Gb each.
Somehow I got the drive lettering screwy when I set up the system (or maybe its the fault of the people who built it for me).

Anyway, one of the 500Gb drives started to crap out, but it booted more often than not.
When I realised it was the drive that was failing (rather than heat on the CPU of the GPU) I disconnected the failing drive from the power and SATA connections so that I could use the PC and not worry about making the trouble worse.

I then go and buy a 2TB replacement drive and plug it in and get it set up and think I will transfer all the files over and finally remove the failing drive.

So, I can remove it and try the usual - freeze bagging it, twirling it, waiving dowsing rods over it, sacrificing a virgin (never one of those around when you need them).
I could try using an external enclosure and seeing if the PC will connect via USB so removing the issue that something is stopping it on boot up.

I could also throw myself on the mercy of the big brains here and see if you have other thoughts.

Mene, LTNS! I certainly hope that someone can find a solution, I will even try, though my left wrist has been hurt at the gym and I can barely use it for awhile). :rolleyes:

#3 Johnny Cool

Johnny Cool

Johnny Cool

• Moderators
  • 15,863 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 09:03 AM

Mene, just one thing that I can't understand. This drive that failed, is just a backup and not the primary boot drive?

#4 Mofo Jones

Mofo Jones

Forum God

• Moderators
  • 12,268 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 11:58 PM

Did you consider trying a version of linux on a CD, such as Knoppix? That runs entirely from the CD and is obviously separate from windows. You might be able to use it to inspect the troubled drive. Keep in mind that if the drive is failing, data could be lost/corrupted every time you attempt to access the drive. I don't know if the Knoppix could move the files to the new 2 TB drive, but it might be worth trying, as I'm sure you can find Knoppix online for super cheap or free. Knoppix official site. Let us know if you need additional assistance!
Posted Image

#5 Andrax

Andrax

Andrax.Net Admin

• Site Admin
  • 9,376 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 10:47 AM

May be worthwhile to pick up a small usb or sata enclosure that you can slap it into and see is you can pull the data off it that way.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

#6 Mofo Jones

Mofo Jones

Forum God

• Moderators
  • 12,268 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 09:57 AM

That can also work if you don't feel like navigating Linux. :pinch:
Posted Image

#7 Dick_Dastardly

Dick_Dastardly

Forum Regular

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 04:41 PM

So, have you gotten this sorted yet? SATA drives are supposed to be hot pluggable as long as you're using the actual SATA power connector and not the Molex adaptor. Here's a post about it from Western Digital...

http://wdc.custhelp....-wd-sata-drives
Posted Image