3 replies to this topic

#1 DarkStar

DarkStar

Forum Demi-God

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,563 posts

Posted 09 December 2011 - 04:42 AM

I want to build my son a new computer this winter and as such I thought I would see what people would suggest, component wise, for a first build. While I don't want to spend a Voodoo PC kind of cash on it I do want it to be a powerful system that will last a number of years.

I am considering pulling using my current CPU, mobo and GPU on it and then upgrading my rig to the new intel CPU and a new videocard, but this will depend on what can be put together from scratch and how much that would cost. My current has a Asus Rampage III Extreme X58 mobo with a watercooled i7-930 and Radeon HD 5970 2GB videocard.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
<iframe src="http://www.worldcomm...e&special=true" frameborder="0" name="di" scrolling="no" width="405px" height="145px"></iframe>

#2 Johnny Cool

Johnny Cool

Johnny Cool

• Moderators
  • 15,863 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 08:34 AM

I want to build my son a new computer this winter and as such I thought I would see what people would suggest, component wise, for a first build. While I don't want to spend a Voodoo PC kind of cash on it I do want it to be a powerful system that will last a number of years.

I am considering pulling using my current CPU, mobo and GPU on it and then upgrading my rig to the new intel CPU and a new videocard, but this will depend on what can be put together from scratch and how much that would cost. My current has a Asus Rampage III Extreme X58 mobo with a watercooled i7-930 and Radeon HD 5970 2GB videocard.

I am waiting for answers on this subject as well.  Should I wait for Ivy Bridge or try to get an Intel 17-2600 soon (should be a nice price drop on the 2600 before the new Intel chips are released). 

#3 Johnny Cool

Johnny Cool

Johnny Cool

• Moderators
  • 15,863 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 08:29 AM

I am waiting for answers on this subject as well. Should I wait for Ivy Bridge or try to get an Intel 17-2600 soon (should be a nice price drop on the 2600 before the new Intel chips are released).

Can *anyone* make suggestions for DarkStar and I? :online2long:

#4 Mofo Jones

Mofo Jones

Forum God

• Moderators
  • 12,268 posts

Posted 31 December 2011 - 11:47 PM

ATI is the :devil: ?
Posted Image