• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Andrax

Andrax

Andrax.Net Admin

• Site Admin
  • 9,376 posts

Posted 19 October 2003 - 11:37 AM

Not to be left out in the cold, it's time to get our own Halo review out there, since you're all waiting with baited breath. Right?

Posted Image
HALO, arguably the most talked about game on the X-Box has finally graced PC users with its presence after an extremely long wait. For those of you that might not remember the situation way back when... HALO was origionally going to be a PC game from the get go, until Microsoft decided that there were in desperate need for a "killer app" for their X-Box console. Microsoft quickly swallowed up Bungie and put the PC release on the backburner and shifted all development to the console version. As far as the X-Box is concerned, it is probably a good thing that they did, because HALO is probably the most universally popular title in their lineup.

The problem now is that HALO is old news so to speak, it came out almost 2 years ago. Had it been released when it was supposed to be on PC it would have undoubtedly skyrocketed to hights unknown as a groundbreaking shooter. But by now, its already been beaten to death. But enough waxing on about it... lets get down to business.

Posted Image
Halo (in case you have been under a rock for 2 years) is the story of "Master Chief", an enhanced solder type with some pretty badass body armor who is out to put the smack down on the Covenant who are trying to wipe out humanity. Your ship gets shot down and you crash on "HALO" the ring-world. After your crash landing you have to work at saving the survivors from your ship and destroying the Covenant while trying to find the purpose of HALO itself, and stopping any plans for the destruction of humanity you find along the way.

The grahpics in HALO are still impressive. Character detail is pretty damn good, and there is nothing like jumping in a Warthog and ripping through the terrain. The biggest drawback to the graphics is that they don't appear to change a whole lot as you play through the game. There are 3 primary environments that you find yourself in. You have your Outdoor (daytime) action, Outdoor (nighttime) action, and then the Indoor areas. You might consider a fourth to be the Snow areas, but thats kind of a stretch. The absence of really versitile environments is not really a platform specific problem, afterall it has been that way from the beginning.

Posted Image
The particle effects from large energy weapons, plasma nades etc are outstanding. Problem being that when you get into an epic battle (especially in MP) you tend to see some serious performance issues. Many powerhouse machines still have to disable most visual effects to maintain any acceptable levels of performance in an online game which is unacceptable. Afterall, Bungie, Gearbox and Microsoft had 2 years after the X-Box release to optimize the game for its transition to PC. Not to say that it isn't playable, but it deffinitely requires some trial and error before you are able to play at a steady & acceptable performance level.

Gameplay is strong, the single player campaign has a wide variety of difficulty levels that you can choose from depending on your skill and how much you want to work at plowing down the hoards of enemies to reach your goal. The AI is pretty good from what I have seen. Friendlies will make a serious effort to help eachother out and if you are in a vehicle and there is room, they will jump on board and man gunner positions as you try to run down enemies on your way to your destination. The Covenant make use of a wide variety of weapons and tactics to thwart your advance. They will take cover behind rocks and trees and will try to flank whenever possible, so eyes in the back of your head is a must. The vehicles really do add quite a bit to the game as well. The Warthog and the Banshee are my personal favorites. They combine excellent manuverability with adequate firepower.

Throughout the game you can pickup weapons from fallen friendlies and enemies. You are limited (still) to 2 weapons at any given time. So if you pickup an alien weapon it will auto drop your machine gun, or pistol depending on the weapontype you pickup. This deffinitely makes you keep track of your ammo and weapon status. It also encourages a serious hunt through the battlefield after a large firefight to find more ammo or new weapons before proceeding on to the next area.

Posted Image
Multi-Player is fun, but even with the recent 1.2 patch it still seems to have a relatively small window of opportunity for a great game. It often appears that when you get more then 6-8 players on a server that performance takes a large hit. Another downer for PC gamers is that the Co-Op Multi-Player mode where you and a friend can take on the Covenant together has been completely removed. It's unfortunate, because this was an excellent mode on the X-Box version. The "new" weapons/vehicles are found in the MP mode. You can now use stationary guns, flamethrowers, and fuel rod guns online. New vechicles in MP are the Warthog w/rocket launcher (instead of machine gun) and the Banshee. This is cool, but not the type of "PC Exclusive" content that most people would get too excited about.

All things considered, HALO remains a good title for fans of the Sci-Fi/FPS style. The use of vehicles and game modes for MP is fun, providing you can find a server that can handle the load, and you have a PC that can do the same. It's a shame that it took 2 extra years to move Halo from the X-Box to the PC. Hopefully this will not remain an ongoing problem for GOOD games transitioning across platforms from the X-Box.

#2 Menelaus

Menelaus

Mini-mene

• Moderators
  • 13,841 posts

Posted 19 October 2003 - 07:38 PM

You've bought the game. Now take HALO to a whole new level! Buy more things to wasdte the space around your PC HERE
"It is the job of the judges to ensure that the government of the day does not exceed its powers, which is a permanent desire of all governments." Lord Donaldson of Lymington

Brigadier: Naturally enough, the only country that could be trusted with such a role was Great Britain.
The Doctor: Naturally. I mean, the rest were all foreigners.

#3 Lanthar

Lanthar

Forum God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,464 posts

Posted 20 October 2003 - 05:59 AM

sweet link Mene
pfsssssssssssssssss... WHAM!
Hold tight! Hold tight? We taped daggers to his hands, he can't help but hold on to them. It seemed like the nice thing to say. After throwing him face first into a rock wall on the other side of a giant sea of fire? Yes.

"si hoc legere scis nimium eruditiones habes"

"You need to take the bull by the balls and run with him" - random inDUHvidual

Posted Image Posted Image

#4 HellWalker

HellWalker

Mini Poster

• DBC
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 20 October 2003 - 02:33 PM

I'm enjoying the game. The Warthog is a blast!

#5 Andrax

Andrax

Andrax.Net Admin

• Site Admin
  • 9,376 posts

Posted 20 October 2003 - 08:19 PM

The aliens are a pain to run down though if there is any type of cover. I did enjoy chasing them around though. :D

#6 lobsta21

lobsta21

Power Poster

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 563 posts

Posted 21 October 2003 - 03:29 AM

I'm still waiting for mine that was due last week. The longer it takes the more patches I'll have.

#7 Fenric

Fenric

Master Poster Wannabe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 703 posts

Posted 04 November 2003 - 11:10 AM

Ive just played the demo, as im hunting for a new PC title - and I have to say I wasnt floored - gunfights about as good as UNREAL - which is pretty good - but definitly no points for landscape originality - the halo itself is cool, but Im a little tired of the vanilla looking sci fi textures - The vehicle combat, so hyped was weak compared to a demo I played a few monthes ago - an Unreal based vehicle multiplayer capture the flag game. I know its lame that the name escapes me, but those vehicles felt FAST and fragile at the same time.

Alien design is decent, though a bit derivative - as well with the soldier in power armour bit. Im glad to be able to play it with a mouse, and maybe 2 years would have made the difference, but Im still clueless as to the hype for this title - Its barely a Half-Life clone....
Posted Image

#8 Menelaus

Menelaus

Mini-mene

• Moderators
  • 13,841 posts

Posted 04 November 2003 - 01:04 PM

What sort of new title are you after? Not much FPSwise right now. Max Payne 2 gets thumbs up for a TPS, though.
"It is the job of the judges to ensure that the government of the day does not exceed its powers, which is a permanent desire of all governments." Lord Donaldson of Lymington

Brigadier: Naturally enough, the only country that could be trusted with such a role was Great Britain.

#9 Fenric

Fenric

Master Poster Wannabe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 703 posts

Posted 04 November 2003 - 09:07 PM

Not sure really - something console like perhaps? ie. good replayability a bit of dexterity and something besides headshots with sniper rifles
Posted Image

#10 Menelaus

Menelaus

Mini-mene

• Moderators
  • 13,841 posts

Posted 04 November 2003 - 09:26 PM

Sunds like Max Payne 2 would be good for you, then. Or go back and play MP1 with the Kung Fu mod! That was amazing!

#11 lobsta21

lobsta21

Power Poster

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 563 posts

Posted 05 November 2003 - 04:22 AM

Max Payne 2 is engrossing. Halo even though I got it playable by making visual sacrifices was boring and a waste of $50. I'm replaying NWN Shadows of Undertide, over my game budget for a while.I'll buy used games now on.

#12 Menelaus

Menelaus

Mini-mene

• Moderators
  • 13,841 posts

Posted 05 November 2003 - 10:14 AM

Lobsta, do you want to play NWN online with some of us on my PC as server on Saturday night? About 9pm PST onwards?

#13 Lanthar

Lanthar

Forum God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,464 posts

Posted 05 November 2003 - 10:35 AM

yeah, lobsta, play with us!!!
pfsssssssssssssssss... WHAM!
Hold tight! Hold tight? We taped daggers to his hands, he can't help but hold on to them. It seemed like the nice thing to say. After throwing him face first into a rock wall on the other side of a giant sea of fire? Yes.

"si hoc legere scis nimium eruditiones habes"

"You need to take the bull by the balls and run with him" - random inDUHvidual

Posted Image Posted Image

#14 Roxer

Roxer

Master Poster

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts

Posted 20 November 2003 - 08:37 AM

I loved Halo for Xbox, but I still don't know anything about the multiplayer experience, is it worth it?
No electrons were harmed in the displaying of this message, though more than enough don't care for it.

#15 Menelaus

Menelaus

Mini-mene

• Moderators
  • 13,841 posts

Posted 24 November 2003 - 09:36 PM

Haven't touched this in days. Just shows you how gripping it is, and I was drooling for this for two years. What a disappointment.

Oh well, time to play NWN A Harper's Tale then.

#16 Menelaus

Menelaus

Mini-mene

• Moderators
  • 13,841 posts

Posted 26 November 2003 - 08:52 AM

Apparently HALO was the fastest selling game in October.

HERE

#17 Roxer

Roxer

Master Poster

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts

Posted 27 November 2003 - 12:10 PM

Well, with Need For Speed Underground out now, Halo is gonna be owned!
No electrons were harmed in the displaying of this message, though more than enough don't care for it.

#18 Menelaus

Menelaus

Mini-mene

• Moderators
  • 13,841 posts

Posted 27 November 2003 - 05:32 PM

Need For Speed Underground

Mole Racing, I suppose?

#19 lobsta21

lobsta21

Power Poster

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 563 posts

Posted 29 November 2003 - 06:55 AM

Gamespot waxed euphoric, I disagree. I'll replay it sometime to see what the big deal is. gamespot.com/pc

#20 Menelaus

Menelaus

Mini-mene

• Moderators
  • 13,841 posts

Posted 05 December 2003 - 09:31 AM

If anyone is still playing it, there is a patch imminent.

Details HERE

#21 Menelaus

Menelaus

Mini-mene

• Moderators
  • 13,841 posts

Posted 29 December 2003 - 09:00 AM

Bump this for lobsta, as he can now look forward to HALO 2, but it seems only to be for Xbox!

#22 lobsta21

lobsta21

Power Poster

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 563 posts

Posted 01 January 2004 - 04:28 AM

Bump this for lobsta

I uninstalled HAlo,it plain sucked and stop picking on me *sigh* Dam furiners. I gots feelings