Photo

What (if any) hardware is on your X-Mas list?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Andrax

Andrax

Andrax.Net Admin

• Site Admin
  • 9,376 posts

Posted 02 December 2010 - 09:36 AM

It's always a hardware christmas isn't it? I'm on the hunt for 2 specific WD 1TB drives so that I can have a matching set of 3 for a raid 5 setup in my new SBS server that is sitting in the corner collecting dust. I have also decided to take the plunge and move up from Wireless G to Wireless N here at the house. Looking at some of the ASUS gear... not to shabby on price and the wireless routers come with gigabit wired connections. Nice since all my machines now have gigabit nics!

Whats on your list?

#2 Webbie

Webbie

Forum God

• Moderators
  • 4,064 posts

Posted 02 December 2010 - 06:30 PM

I'm experimenting with BTRFS because in theory it allows you to create mirrored raid arrays with asymmetric hardware; but in practice I am finding it's not stable enough to trust yet.

If you are looking at wireless gear, I would suggest looking at Buffalo. It's more expensive but I hear nothing but good things about them.

Edited by Webbie, 02 December 2010 - 06:35 PM.

"Are you a god?"
"More or less Toblaki. Does that frighten you?"
"I've met gods before. They collect chickens."
"We posess mysterious ways indeed."

#3 Andrax

Andrax

Andrax.Net Admin

• Site Admin
  • 9,376 posts

Posted 02 December 2010 - 07:52 PM

Will have to look into buffalo. So long as its got dual radio n, and gigabit wired connections its on the table. ;)

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Tapatalk

#4 Webbie

Webbie

Forum God

• Moderators
  • 4,064 posts

Posted 10 December 2010 - 05:00 PM

To be honest it's a hardware christmas for me; I'm building a stereo/home theatre setup.

I have a Cambridge Audio azur 840E pre-amp and 840C cd-player on the ground as the core of my system, with two Emotiva UPA-1 monoblock amplifiers and a pair of Swan Diva 6.1Fs currently in transit. :online2long:
"Are you a god?"
"More or less Toblaki. Does that frighten you?"
"I've met gods before. They collect chickens."
"We posess mysterious ways indeed."

#5 Andrax

Andrax

Andrax.Net Admin

• Site Admin
  • 9,376 posts

Posted 11 December 2010 - 06:32 PM

Nice. My home theater has always been fairly lackluster. The good news is that I have always lucked out and picked up family or friends hand me downs when they upgrade to the latest and greatest.

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Tapatalk

#6 Mofo Jones

Mofo Jones

Forum God

• Moderators
  • 12,268 posts

Posted 13 December 2010 - 12:30 AM

I don't have any hardware on my list, but I'll accept donated parts so I can leave the Bronze Age (Athlon XP, GeForce 6600GT, WD 80 GB IDE drives) behind.

Oh wait, I did ask for one of those Black and Decker variable size ratcheting wrenches for Christmas, but that's tools, not hardware. <_<
Posted Image