• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Andrax

Andrax

Andrax.Net Admin

• Site Admin
  • 9,375 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 09:46 AM

Sorry for my absence... about 2 weeks ago my system ate itself. Started out with a few random crashes/reboots. Started thinking that I was having a video card (eVga 8800 GTS) failure. Started an RMA, got a card that was worse than my original, sent it back. Put in the original card back in and the problem started to get a little worse. More frequent crashes and the like, even the occasional blue screen of death (ack!).

Second card arrived and the system wouldn't even boot windows and had graphic issues at POST (red dotted lines running vertically across half the screen). Now I'm starting to think its motherboard and video card, possibly bad ram, or even the power supply. Running memtest for HOURS, no failure. Try alternating pci-e slots, no change. Drop in new power supply, still crashes. End up sending back rma #2, give up on primary drive as no repair options to windows make a damn bit of difference. Drive so screwed up it wont even complete a re-install over the top of Win 7. Gets to the first reboot after installing setup files and then enters reboot death loop.

Drop in two new drives, setup raid 0 (just for kicks) and re-install Win7 Ultimate clean and things seem to be moving along. Still need to reinstate my RMA and get a working video card. Kinda torn as I would love to get a new VC that supports DX 11 since now I'm on Win7 but don't really feel like ponying up for one. Also thinking about ditching nvidia and going back to ATI for the next card.

Decisions decisions...

#2 Johnny Cool

Johnny Cool

Johnny Cool

• Moderators
  • 15,863 posts

Posted 06 August 2010 - 06:18 AM

Sorry for my absence... about 2 weeks ago my system ate itself.  Started out with a few random crashes/reboots.  Started thinking that I was having a video card (eVga 8800 GTS) failure.  Started an RMA, got a card that was worse than my original, sent it back.  Put in the original card back in and the problem started to get a little worse.  More frequent crashes and the like, even the occasional blue screen of death (ack!).

Second card arrived and the system wouldn't even boot windows and had graphic issues at POST (red dotted lines running vertically across half the screen).  Now I'm starting to think its motherboard and video card, possibly bad ram, or even the power supply.  Running memtest for HOURS, no failure.  Try alternating pci-e slots, no change. Drop in new power supply, still crashes. End up sending back rma #2, give up on primary drive as no repair options to windows make a damn bit of difference.  Drive so screwed up it wont even complete a re-install over the top of Win 7.  Gets to the first reboot after installing setup files and then enters reboot death loop.

Drop in two new drives, setup raid 0 (just for kicks) and re-install Win7 Ultimate clean and things seem to be moving along.  Still need to reinstate my RMA and get a working video card.  Kinda torn as I would love to get a new VC that supports DX 11 since now I'm on Win7 but don't really feel like ponying up for one.  Also thinking about ditching nvidia and going back to ATI for the next card.

Decisions decisions...

So many choices!  :beta: