7 replies to this topic

#1 DarkStar

DarkStar

Forum Demi-God

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,563 posts

Posted 29 May 2010 - 01:43 PM

Does partitioning a hard drive make any difference in a system?

For eample I'm getting a 256GB Crucial SSD in my rig as the boot drive and to run games off of, will it matter if it's one large partition or should I request it be made into two partitions, one for the OS and the other for games?
<iframe src="http://www.worldcomm...e&special=true" frameborder="0" name="di" scrolling="no" width="405px" height="145px"></iframe>

#2 Johnny Cool

Johnny Cool

Johnny Cool

• Moderators
  • 15,863 posts

Posted 02 June 2010 - 06:26 AM

For eample I'm getting a 256GB Crucial SSD in my rig as the boot drive and to run games off of, will it matter if it's one large partition or should I request it be made into two partitions, one for the OS and the other for games?

Edit: I posted a link to an out-dated article. I don't have SSD HD's, yet I would think that partitions would not be necessary due to the speed of SDD HD's.

popeyecu is much better qualified to answer this.

Edited by Johnny Cool, 02 June 2010 - 07:01 AM.

#3 DarkStar

DarkStar

Forum Demi-God

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,563 posts

Posted 02 June 2010 - 09:28 AM

Edit: I posted a link to an out-dated article. I don't have SSD HD's, yet I would think that partitions would not be necessary due to the speed of SDD HD's.

Yeah so far the only reason I can think of to partition it would be to make reinstalling the OS easier.
<iframe src="http://www.worldcomm...e&special=true" frameborder="0" name="di" scrolling="no" width="405px" height="145px"></iframe>

#4 Johnny Cool

Johnny Cool

Johnny Cool

• Moderators
  • 15,863 posts

Posted 02 June 2010 - 12:22 PM

Yeah so far the only reason I can think of to partition it would be to make reinstalling the OS easier.

I did find an interesting link on this subject:

Best answer from sminlal

There's no need to have separate partitions on the SSD for the OS and programs. All that does it make it more likely you'll run out of space in one partition and have to re-adjust the partition sizes. Just use one partition for the whole drive and and install the OS and as many applications as you can fit there.

Note - Windows 7 will create a 100MB recovery partition as well as the partition that the OS is installed into. You may want to make sure no other drives are connected while installing Windows to force the recovery partition onto the same drive as the OS. If you don't you may find that the system won't boot one day if the data drive with the recovery partition isn't available.

As for partitions on the hard drives, you'll probably get a lot of different opinions. Mine is that you should just use one full-sized partition per disk and organize the files within the partition using folders.

Over time if you feel you have performance issues then you can monitor your I/O and if you find that one disk is substantially busier than the other then identify which folders have the active files and move some of them to the less busy drive.

From Tom's Hardware

Edit: Found another link at a Intel community forum:

ssd questions

At a Intel forum

Edited by Johnny Cool, 02 June 2010 - 12:40 PM.

#5 Mike

Mike

Forum God

• Moderators
  • 8,493 posts

Posted 02 June 2010 - 02:12 PM

I've never partitioned for speed, I've always partitioned to have a backup partition space. That allows me to image the system partition into the "E" drive.
In 1887, Iolani Palace was wired with electricity and telephone service-before Buckingham Palace and the White House.
Posted Image
BOINC team
Setiweb team

#6 Webbie

Webbie

Forum God

• Moderators
  • 4,064 posts

Posted 02 June 2010 - 08:16 PM

Splitting a drive into two partitions won't yield any significant performance gains, however using two drives will.

Actually, I'm not sure if that is the case with SSDs, as I am unclear as to whether the read bottleneck with SSDs is still "seek time" (or access time or whatever you call it for an SSD) or bus throughput.

Edited by Webbie, 02 June 2010 - 08:18 PM.

"Are you a god?"
"More or less Toblaki. Does that frighten you?"
"I've met gods before. They collect chickens."
"We posess mysterious ways indeed."

#7 Johnny Cool

Johnny Cool

Johnny Cool

• Moderators
  • 15,863 posts

Posted 03 June 2010 - 05:49 AM

I've never partitioned for speed, I've always partitioned to have a backup partition space.  That allows me to image the system partition into the "E" drive.

This is the way that I have always done (the flash image to it's own partition on the second internal drive) it has saved my bacon numerous times. 

#8 Webbie

Webbie

Forum God

• Moderators
  • 4,064 posts

Posted 04 June 2010 - 06:00 PM

The really nice thing about working as a programmer is that all of my work is stored in git repositories, so I have automatic distributed checksummed backups; so I don't bother with backup partitions any more. :)
"Are you a god?"
"More or less Toblaki. Does that frighten you?"
"I've met gods before. They collect chickens."
"We posess mysterious ways indeed."