• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Mofo Jones

Mofo Jones

Forum God

• Moderators
  • 12,268 posts

Posted 02 April 2010 - 01:51 PM

Nothing eats up HD space faster than taking a metric ton of pictures of the kids. Wife's iBook is getting full and we're wanting to add an external HD so we can have a backup for the photos. Because the laptop lives on a table accessible to our daughter, we plan on having something she can hook up, transfer new files, then remove. We don't need a huge drive, but I wouldn't mind at least 320 or 500 GB. I'm looking for suggestions from those of you who have several external HDs (JC, I'm looking at you, bucko. Put down the 'rita) Brand, size, should I look for one specifically designed for a Mac (which seem to be priced higher, shock of all shocks), USB, FireWire, etc?

Thanks in advance!

Tha Mofo
Posted Image

#2 Mike

Mike

Forum God

• Moderators
  • 8,493 posts

Posted 03 April 2010 - 09:58 AM

Personally, I would get a combo drive (USB & Firewire connections) You guarantee that the drive will work on both PCs and Macs-PCs rarely have FW and macs usually have FW in addition to USB. You can visit otherworld computing if you want to purchase from a company that focuses on macs, or you could run down to your local warehouse store, frys, best buy, etc and get what ever drive is on sale.

I have an 80GB "on the go" external for my mini and it came with carbon copy cloner software so I periodically backup the whole system drive to the external. A 5400rpm 320GB combo (USB/FW400) drive is $103, a 7200rpm drive is $113.
In 1887, Iolani Palace was wired with electricity and telephone service-before Buckingham Palace and the White House.
Posted Image
BOINC team
Setiweb team

#3 Mofo Jones

Mofo Jones

Forum God

• Moderators
  • 12,268 posts

Posted 03 April 2010 - 11:27 AM

That's a good find, Mike. Thanks for the input. This looks like it might be a tad more expensive than at Frys or Best Buy, but a 7200 rpm backup drive would be good.
Posted Image

#4 RaymondFO

RaymondFO

Mini Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 09 April 2010 - 06:05 PM

I would avoid Western Digital external hard drives since prior issues with time machine is poor to say the least. Lacie and Seagate external hard drives appear to work well with Macs, but like anything else each person usually has their favorites, or issues with certain hardware manufacturers.
Raymond

#5 ethelred

ethelred

Master Poster Wannabe

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 722 posts

Posted 10 April 2010 - 07:40 AM

Maybe I am missing the intent of what you are trying to accomplish, but why not just burn the pictures to DVD?
An issue is for discussion, a problem requires resolution.

ethelred the unready

Posted Image

#6 Mofo Jones

Mofo Jones

Forum God

• Moderators
  • 12,268 posts

Posted 11 April 2010 - 09:28 AM

I can see your point, but there isn't a dvd burner in her iBook. I suppose we could get an external DVD burner, but then I'd have to either modify this topic, or start a new one.
Posted Image

#7 ethelred

ethelred

Master Poster Wannabe

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 722 posts

Posted 12 April 2010 - 01:00 PM

:online2long:
An issue is for discussion, a problem requires resolution.

ethelred the unready

Posted Image