• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 Andrax

Andrax

Andrax.Net Admin

• Site Admin
  • 9,376 posts

Posted 15 September 2009 - 08:49 AM

I've been a D-Link guy for quite a while but it appears that my DGL-4300 is on the way out with frequent drops in my connection that only seem to be corrected by a reboot. Sometimes it's a few a day, sometimes it's once a month. Not a crisis, but it always seems to happen in the middle of something that doesn't handle a drop well which tends to piss me off.

Is it just me or has the selection of "rockin" routers really gone to hell? Everything is Draft-N which I really won't bother with. Until they actually finalize N all the Draft-N stuff is crap imo, not to mention that none of my laptops support any form of N so why waste my money.

Looks like the newest incarnation of the WRT54 is the L variant which can be flashed, but since it's been so long since I played with Linksys routers I am out on what the best rom replacements are. Is it still Tomato? Any thoughts or input much appreciated.

I will be sad to give up my gigabit network, but it's not worth paying $100+ for a DGL-4300 which is already 5 or 6 years old. I did try the newer D-Link gigabit router that was draft-n and was pretty thoroughly disappointed in it's performance, or lack thereof.

#2 Woody Dudat

Woody Dudat

Forum Supreme Being

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,603 posts

Posted 15 September 2009 - 11:58 AM

Until they actually finalize N all the Draft-N stuff is crap imo...

Special, just for you... :lol:
redundancy through duplication
redundancy through duplication

#3 popeyecu

popeyecu

Forum Supreme Being

• Valued Member
  • 2,272 posts

Posted 15 September 2009 - 12:40 PM

We've been using DD-WRT for a while, and I have installed probably 25 routers with it. Everything from single routers that just needed a little more wattage to a 12-router distribution system. All rock solid. The setup can be a little finicky for the complex stuff, but just follow the WIKI and it should work.
I love the copper. I love the aluminum. I love metal and silicon working together for the betterment of computing.

Andrax Affiliate:

Posted Image

#4 Andrax

Andrax

Andrax.Net Admin

• Site Admin
  • 9,376 posts

Posted 15 September 2009 - 01:00 PM

Until they actually finalize N all the Draft-N stuff is crap imo...

Special, just for you... :lol:

Wow, must have been my spidey sense tingling!

#5 Mike

Mike

Forum God

• Moderators
  • 8,493 posts

Posted 15 September 2009 - 01:02 PM

I think the computer guys flash with DD-WRT since it can do server based authentications, but the wireless system runs in "paranoid" mode where you need to type in your email name/password to prove you are a legitimate user of the system.

I'm just using the stock firmware in my WRT54GL.
In 1887, Iolani Palace was wired with electricity and telephone service-before Buckingham Palace and the White House.
Posted Image
BOINC team
Setiweb team

#6 Webbie

Webbie

Forum God

• Moderators
  • 4,064 posts

Posted 15 September 2009 - 01:05 PM

We've been using DD-WRT for a while, and I have installed probably 25 routers with it. Everything from single routers that just needed a little more wattage to a 12-router distribution system. All rock solid. The setup can be a little finicky for the complex stuff, but just follow the WIKI and it should work.

It's funny but I was just thinking I should give this a go the other day, mostly so I can crank up the radio power. I already have range extender antennas, but I just won't be happy until I can get WIFI in the bar.

Edited by Webbie, 15 September 2009 - 01:06 PM.

"Are you a god?"
"More or less Toblaki. Does that frighten you?"
"I've met gods before. They collect chickens."
"We posess mysterious ways indeed."

#7 Webbie

Webbie

Forum God

• Moderators
  • 4,064 posts

Posted 15 September 2009 - 06:04 PM

Done! Now I just need to figure out WPA on my linux server.
"Are you a god?"

#8 popeyecu

popeyecu

Forum Supreme Being

• Valued Member
  • 2,272 posts

Posted 15 September 2009 - 08:29 PM

Yeah Webbie! Welcome to the club.

The PPTP VPN server in there can be helpful, but is rather insecure. IPSEC has always been too hard to setup for me to mess with. Lately I've been installing wireless in homes that are too big to have one router cover them, and DD-WRT (now) makes that really easy to setup. Just make one a gateway, and the other a wireless repeater, then just mount it on the wall and plug in the power for the extra boost. If you name the SSIDs the same, and use the same security and channel settings on both, you'll magically hop from one to the other as they fade out. Cheap and works like a champ.
I love the copper. I love the aluminum. I love metal and silicon working together for the betterment of computing.

Andrax Affiliate:

Posted Image

#9 Webbie

Webbie

Forum God

• Moderators
  • 4,064 posts

Posted 15 September 2009 - 09:09 PM

Yeah, well VPN is overall a strange concept if you have passing familiarity with SSH, so I don't bother. :P
"Are you a god?"

#10 Webbie

Webbie

Forum God

• Moderators
  • 4,064 posts

Posted 16 September 2009 - 03:59 PM

Ok, gave it another go tonight, as last night I was seeing terrible performance, with my ping apparently on a roller-coaster ride (eg: 54ms, 60ms, 250ms, 1567ms, 543ms, 54ms in one ping /n 100).

This thread seems to offer good advice about not using the stable builds, as they are not, in fact, stable.

All seems to be well now.

Edit: Ports forwarded! :P

Edited by Webbie, 16 September 2009 - 04:11 PM.

"Are you a god?"

#11 Farfik

Farfik

Forum God

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,583 posts

Posted 24 September 2009 - 05:38 AM

I'm still using tomato/fixppp for its single line mlppp abilities. It hasn't been updated in a while though. I'll have to check out DD-WRT.

#12 popeyecu

popeyecu

Forum Supreme Being

• Valued Member
  • 2,272 posts

Posted 24 September 2009 - 06:25 AM

Looks like Tomato is the only way to go with MLPPP. Brainslayer doesn't seem interested in implementing it in DD-WRT any time soon.

BTW, interesting solution to the throttling issues with certain DSL companies. I had not heard of this before.

Andrax Affiliate:

Posted Image

#13 Webbie

Webbie

Forum God

• Moderators
  • 4,064 posts

Posted 24 September 2009 - 10:45 AM

That's a new one on me as well, albeit not particularly useful to me - I have cable instead of DSL and have a v5 WRT54G, which has 8MB ram so I have to use "micro" DD-WRT builds. :P

Edited by Webbie, 24 September 2009 - 03:40 PM.

"Are you a god?"

#14 popeyecu

popeyecu

Forum Supreme Being

• Valued Member
  • 2,272 posts

Posted 29 September 2009 - 01:45 PM

I run a WRT54GS with Micro for the neighbors, which seems to hold up pretty well. Most of the big features like VPN and whatnot are taken care of by my SBS 2008 machine.

Andrax Affiliate:

Posted Image

#15 Andrax

Andrax

Andrax.Net Admin

• Site Admin
  • 9,376 posts

Posted 29 September 2009 - 03:12 PM

WRT54GL will be here Thursday (with a new switch to boot). Time to see if I can fix all my bizzare network gremlins in one fell swoop.

#16 Mike

Mike

Forum God

• Moderators
  • 8,493 posts

Posted 30 September 2009 - 10:20 AM

WRT54GL will be here Thursday (with a new switch to boot). Time to see if I can fix all my bizzare network gremlins in one fell swoop.

+1 for forklift replacements :devil:
In 1887, Iolani Palace was wired with electricity and telephone service-before Buckingham Palace and the White House.
Posted Image
BOINC team
Setiweb team

#17 Farfik

Farfik

Forum God

• Valued Member
  • 3,583 posts

Posted 05 October 2009 - 04:34 AM

Single link MLPPP works great for avoiding the throttling. I did some testing turning it on and off and went from useless torrents, Linux distros of course =), to maxing the bandwidth of my line. Considering that I don't buy my connection from Bell they have no business throttling it but thanks to the CRTC being in bed with Bell they do.

#18 Webbie

Webbie

Forum God

• Moderators
  • 4,064 posts

Posted 07 February 2010 - 05:29 PM

I just reconfigured my network so that my WRT54G with dd-wrt micro is acting as a client. All of my hardware is now hardwired locally, with a wireless jump to the cable modem provided by my two routers.

This means that I now have a hardwired, 100 Mbit connection to my media server. :)

Edited by Webbie, 07 February 2010 - 05:29 PM.

"Are you a god?"

#19 Johnny Cool

Johnny Cool

Johnny Cool

• Moderators
  • 15,863 posts

Posted 08 February 2010 - 07:12 AM

I just reconfigured my network so that my WRT54G with dd-wrt micro is acting as a client. All of my hardware is now hardwired locally, with a wireless jump to the cable modem provided by my two routers.

This means that I now have a hardwired, 100 Mbit connection to my media server. :)

I need to get that same router. Sounds like a solid choice. 

#20 popeyecu

popeyecu

Forum Supreme Being

• Valued Member
  • 2,272 posts

Posted 08 February 2010 - 04:32 PM

The WRT54GL is the way to go for Linux routers. Just flash the mini build and you're ready to go, no need to mess with the VXKiller. Amazon has the best deal: http://www.amazon.co...e/dp/B000BTL0OA

Andrax Affiliate:

Posted Image

#21 Webbie

Webbie

Forum God

• Moderators
  • 4,064 posts

Posted 08 February 2010 - 04:45 PM

Make sure and check the revision you buy is compatible though.
"Are you a god?"

#22 popeyecu

popeyecu

Forum Supreme Being

• Valued Member
  • 2,272 posts

Posted 08 February 2010 - 08:17 PM

That's the nice thing about the GL's, they're built for Linux.

Andrax Affiliate:

Posted Image

#23 Farfik

Farfik

Forum God

• Valued Member
  • 3,583 posts

Posted 09 February 2010 - 12:53 PM

Tomato/MLPPP has recently been updated. I'm still using an older version as it is solid for me and I don't feel like messing with it.

All my computer fun is coming from getting FreeBSD 8 up and running well on an old Thinkpad. Oh, and X3TC on my windows box.

Edited by Farfik, 09 February 2010 - 12:53 PM.