4 replies to this topic

#1 Andrax

Andrax

Andrax.Net Admin

• Site Admin
  • 9,376 posts

Posted 18 May 2009 - 09:55 AM

From D-Link Tech support.

Backstory: Experienced a range of connection issues on my dsl service which seemed to be coming from my DGL 4300. Ordered a D-Link DIR-655 a day or two before I really beat up on the Actiontech M1000 modem. Through no thanks of Qwest tech support, discovered that it was running on an older firmware. Updated the firmware which seemed to resolve those connection issues.

New router arrived and I figured I would swap it out since it's a few years newer then the 4300. Well, despite copying every setting and forwarded port exactly the same it pretty much took a big old dump and would serve web traffic but 9 out of 10 times it would fail to connect to any L4D server.

Call D-Link and explain the issue. The first words out of his mouth were "Well, this isn't a gaming router".

WTF!!!!!!!!!!

I did try to give him a small education about the data being data but having this response followed up with "Boy, I'm really not sure what to tell you" was wildly unhelpful coming from tech support.

#2 Farfik

Farfik

Forum God

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,583 posts

Posted 18 May 2009 - 05:24 PM

I shit you not; a friend of mine got hung up on by D-Link tech support not too long ago.

#3 Andrax

Andrax

Andrax.Net Admin

• Site Admin
  • 9,376 posts

Posted 18 May 2009 - 05:29 PM

Since my problem seems to have been resolved with the Firmware Flash on my dsl modem I sent the 655 back to newegg and am going to eat the 15% restocking fee to not have to deal with its crap.

On another note... While on the phone with Qwest tech support I rattled off the firmware version of my modem to her and she responded "Ohh good, that's the most current firmware available".

Upon checking on my own at the actual QWEST support site, I found that there was a firmware almost 11 months newer available from their own website which I downloaded and flashed after getting off the phone with support.

This update, and no help what so ever from tech support, resolved my connection issue. No wonder people hate most tech support resources. They all suck!

#4 Mike

Mike

Forum God

• Moderators
  • 8,493 posts

Posted 18 May 2009 - 06:30 PM

Ages ago I had a Gateway2000 computer and the USR serial modem installer program managed to bork the win 3.11 install. Called tech support and found out their driver CD versions were three months older than mine. Couldn't get the OS working or reloaded over four days.
Packed the computer up and shipped it back to them. I forced them to give me a full refund since I had it less than a week before it was messed up and tech support was unable to fix it.
In 1887, Iolani Palace was wired with electricity and telephone service-before Buckingham Palace and the White House.
Posted Image
BOINC team
Setiweb team

#5 Farfik

Farfik

Forum God

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,583 posts

Posted 19 May 2009 - 06:48 AM

I like the WRT54GL + Tomato/MLPPP firmware. It looks like their page is down at the moment though.