• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,892 posts

Posted 15 January 2009 - 08:49 AM

So I got some ebony:
Posted Image

and some ivory:
Posted Image

I thought I ould get to print from my notebooks in perfect harmony.

rong!

The ivory requires a DSL modem and connection to operate, this I do not have. hy? I just anted a simple in house ireless netork.
I dedided to get the DSL stuff and be done ith it, but then I don't need the ivory anymore, a gateay comes ith the DSL. But it ain't no ivory.

More dreams dashed.

On the plus side, I have almost everything I need for a full upgrade and servicing of the m:860. Nothing to go rong there, surely. :blink:
Posted Image [font="Impact"]

#2 Fifi

Fifi

Forum Supreme Being

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,453 posts

Posted 15 January 2009 - 09:03 AM

hat? :blink:
Love is the triumph of imagination over intelligence.

#3 Woody Dudat

Woody Dudat

Forum Supreme Being

• Valued Member
  • 2,603 posts

Posted 15 January 2009 - 02:58 PM

...you blue it?..once or twice?..dunno...anyway, you deserve broadband...everyone deserves broadband...

...nice printer...I bought an Epson product in early December...it's still in the shipping box, never opened... :blink:

...DSL...one more :lol: ...
redundancy through duplication

#4 oVo

oVo

Thought Mod. Wannabe

• Valued Member
  • 9,892 posts

Posted 16 January 2009 - 05:43 AM

True blue could do it. Hadn't really considered that. Hmmm, have to check the range on that. Would do it immediately but my right click options aren't working right. Thanks for the blue tip stock!

I blue it with the notebook upgrade, that's for sure. Only once though... Can't find any 7200 rpm eide drives, only sata, it makes me very sata. They used to be made and sold but I missed my moment and I have been made and am not sold.

Get that scanner a' scanning!

#5 oVo

oVo

Thought Mod. Wannabe

• Valued Member
  • 9,892 posts

Posted 19 January 2009 - 06:41 AM

update:

IT'S ALIVE!

After taking the router back to the store to return it, which I didn't really want to do, I talked to some guys there that insisted that what I did want to do was entirely possible if I would just ignore the manual and the warning sticker covering the ethernet ports that both instructed me to use the CD which refuses to do anything without broadbanded internet. Plug the CAT5 in, browse your way around, adjust the settings and POOF! wireless printing. Well, it wasn't quite that easy, the blue-screening notebook (every time I enabled the wireless card, BANG!, but more on that another time) and the mysterious Macbook didn't help, but it did work. It took some hours of fiddling and reinstalling (made necessary by an ill-timed blue-screen demise) but it works. Wow. Breath in...

So far it's been wonderful. The photos this thing prints are fantastic, really incredible. I will tell you all about it sometime but thought I should let you know the inter-corporate relationship and work out if you really want it too, it doesn't need to be a problem. Let's just say that black and white can produce beautiful colors!

Look for the notebook upgrade thread coming soon featuring:

-looking under the covers
-pictures of internal parts
-many wild screws, long and short, thick and thin
-thermal grease
-squeezing hard
-the gentle touch
-blowing on the heat sink
-and surprise endings!

...don't miss it!

#6 K-TRON

K-TRON

Forum Regular

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 184 posts

Posted 19 January 2009 - 08:16 PM

For a minute I thought maybe a coworker played the W remaping key thing on you :D

http://www.youtube.c...feature=channel

K-TRON

#7 oVo

oVo

Thought Mod. Wannabe

• Valued Member
  • 9,892 posts

Posted 20 January 2009 - 06:57 AM

No, but I did get the Intel-Wireless-Blue-Screen fiasco, speaking of going blue, Woody. An Intel 2200BG card plus an N router (or plus WPA-TKIP perhaps) equals a big, blue circle of pain and desperation. I hope a driver update will fix it. I bought a printer that prints over a wireless network and in the process of installing it the wireless card of the notebook becomes a poison pill. Computer irony is very, very dry.

#8 Woody Dudat

Woody Dudat

Forum Supreme Being

• Valued Member
  • 2,603 posts

Posted 20 January 2009 - 09:28 PM

Computer irony is very, very dry.

...unlike telepathy...

#9 oVo

oVo

Thought Mod. Wannabe

• Valued Member
  • 9,892 posts

Posted 25 January 2009 - 05:52 AM

Right. :blink:

As for the Intel Wireless Death Circus (lots of rings, blue screen-->boot-->blue screen-->boot), a good driver update did do the trick, the dryness has gone, everything is going swimmingly!

The Epson Net Config software indicates incomplete configuration every time I run it, so I just don't run it and all is well. It is possible I didn't need the router as the printer can function in an ad hoc instead of infrastructure fashion, which I think means it would communicate with the laptops directly, but this works, gives me a place to hang a central data drive and made for a very compelling project. Plus it is such a good looking little fellow, who wouldn't want to have him around?

The more I use this printer/scanner the more I like it. The software is well designed, the hardware is well designed -- very compact with a smart use of space, and everything is accessible from the front, not top, which is very rare -- and it prints and scans to my expectations, or frankly far better. I haven't spent much time looking at photo printers but when they can equal the quality of a lab then it is time to do my printing at home when and how I want. Beautiful. More beautiful.

Some people on the net complain that they paper tray isn't sturdy, and granted I wouldn't call it robust, but it is strong enough for me and I would take the intillegent use of space over a big and ugly solution. I compared it to the Canon and HP counterparts and didn't find the difference in build quality of the trays to be significant, but opinions vary. I love having the separate tray for photo paper and the fact that all papers and prints go in and come out on the front side, which means it can sit on a reasonably high shelf, with just enough space above it to open the lid of the scanner. It just sits out of the way, and does its thing. Everything slides in and folds up and tucks away, very well thought out.

It is said to be fast, but that is a comparison with other printers so I will just have to believe that's true. I generally choose top quality instead of fastest output anyway. It is not silent, but since I have it hidden away, thanks to its front access and wireless connection, I don't notice that much and don't find it bothersome, it is actually rather endearing.

It prints text like an ink jet printer, it can't be mistaken for a laser print, but that was a given. High quality photo's and graphics is what I was looking for, and what I got. It has six individual ink cartridges, a key demand for me, and that improves print quality and removes the waste of combineded ink supplies. The interface is a lot like that of a digital camera so it you are accustomed to that then navigating through the functions and settings should be easy, at least I haven't had any problems finding anything yet. Printing from a camera or a memory card is a breeze, there are several ways to do it, but I prefer to examine pictures on a larger screen first and make adjustments on the computer so I don't anticipate doing that very often.

Ah, enough describing it, time to go back to using it!

after thought: the real danger of a great photo printer is it leaves me wanting a better camera...