Photo

DUAL SOCKET F octalcore build (Questions inside)

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 K-TRON

K-TRON

Forum Regular

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 184 posts

Posted 10 December 2008 - 06:29 PM

I am looking at getting the ASUS L1N64-SLI WS/B Dual 1207(F) NVIDIA nForce 680a SLI SSI CEB Server Motherboard
http://www.newegg.co...p;Tpk=L1N64-SLI

I have read the reviews, and you need to read them with some knowledge.
ASUS released two revisions of the board, the one with blue and black pcie ports is the one which supports only socket L1 FX-74's and the one with the red and black pcie ports supports the Opteron 2000 series chips.
The product is rated poorly because almost all of the buyers tried putting FX-74's in the board which only supports the 2000 series opterons. Hence why half of the people said that the board didnt work.

Now I am pairing the motherboard with the proper cpu's
I am getting a great deal on two AMD Opteron 2347 BA chips.

Here is the cpu-z for the two processors:
http://img254.images...age=cpuzpz6.jpg

The motherboard allows for overclocking. The cpu's are stock at 1.9GHz, and they are able to go to 2.35GHz on the ASUS L1N64-SLI board.

I was talking to the original owner, and the system has over two years of warranty left on the board.
The system ran SETI 24/7 and the owner said that no stability issues came up.

The TLB error to my recollection only came up when the processors were run at 100% load.
Now apparently the owner said no errors ever came up.
I have talked to a few owners of dual and quad socket f platforms and it seems that the TLB bug only shows on single socket F platforms. Users with dual and quad socket f platforms are not seeing the bug.

Now does that make it safe to use the two Opteron 2347 chips?
The chips do have the TLB bug, but never showed it yet.

For money wise, I dont think it can be beat. $350 is getting me 8 cores at 1.9Ghz, a motherboard able to do quad SLI, and 4Gb of Pc6400 ECC memory.

Here is what I plan to do with the system:

I am basically building a chassis to hold the motherboard and the 8 processors. The system is going to be used for CAD 2D and 3D, and of course helping Team Andrax.
I am an architecture student at RPI, and it really sucks waiting hours for even my T7400 in my laptop to render an image. With 8 cores the process should run much faster. I plainly just need a lot of processing power on a tight budget.

Do you think its a good idea to go ahead and buy the board and cpu's?
Does anyone here have any experience with that motherboard or those cpu's, or multi processing systems in general

thanks in advance,

K-TRON

Edited by K-TRON, 10 December 2008 - 06:33 PM.

#2 K-TRON

K-TRON

Forum Regular

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 184 posts

Posted 11 December 2008 - 03:04 PM

well, I just went ahead and bought the system. How could I turn down 50,000MFLOPS and 8 cores.
When I get it in a few weeks, I will make sure to review it and post pictures.
Hopefully it crunches well, it should with those 8 cores

K-TRON

#3 K-TRON

K-TRON

Forum Regular

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 184 posts

Posted 13 December 2008 - 08:16 PM

To update,
I went ahead and purchased two new coolers for the system.
After a lot of research I found the best cooler for socket F 2U platforms. Its the Dynatron A86G.
http://www.newegg.co...x...78&Tpk=a86g

My other choice was the Cooljag FAT-D.
But the quality of the Dynatron looked far better. The Cooljag's fins looked curved and looked misshaped from their online picture, so I went with the much nicer looking dynatron.
Plus Dynatron has a TRON in it, which makes it fit that much better into the OCTITRON :D
PS, my new laptop is going to be called the OCTITRON

Now I will be stripping the fan from this cooler, and replacing it with a 60mm EBM PAPST S-force fan, which can pump 2.5x the air pressure and slightly more air volume. The EBM fans are not cheap, but they are amazing.

Here is the fan I am using: (I am using the 12V one) There will be one fan per heatsink
http://www.ebmpapst....llpdfs/600J.PDF

I will be sure to post pictures and videos when I get everything in.

PS. The ASUS L1N64-SLI WS/B uses 3.5" pitch sockets, not the 4.1" ones

K-TRON

Edited by K-TRON, 13 December 2008 - 08:17 PM.

#4 Johnny Cool

Johnny Cool

Johnny Cool

• Moderators
  • 15,863 posts

Posted 14 December 2008 - 10:06 AM

How could I turn down 50,000MFLOPS and 8 cores.

K-TRON

/drools

K-TRON, all this info that I have read is uber cool ... :online2long: