Photo

Donate Your Computer / Computer Parts Here!

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Johnny Cool

Johnny Cool

Johnny Cool

• Moderators
  • 15,863 posts

Posted 04 December 2008 - 09:02 AM

Donate Your Computer / Computer Parts Here!

donate

do∑nate [d? nŗyt, do nŠyt] (past do∑nat∑ed, past participle do∑nat∑ed, present participle do∑nat∑ing, 3rd person present singular do∑nates) verb
1.transitive verb give or present: to give or present something, especially to a charitable organization or other good cause

Ok, in this case, we are talking about giving your older/used computer free without any tax breaks. Yes, a GIFT!

We can keep this simple. This is open to all Andrax Board members who have been here (joined) for at least 30 days (this info may be changed and this thread could be moved to another Forum on this Board).

I was thinking that these "donated" computers could be given to Team Mates of our crunching team. Just think of 7cures who has crunched with our Team for years. As of this moment, he is in need of a computer to use as a crunching machine.

Also (for example), perhaps one of you may need a working computer because yours just went "south". I mean, who would want to see any of our Ladies not being able to post here? Certainly, not us Gentlemen! :phone:

So, let's do it! If you have a computer to donate, please post about it here. Remember to use private mail until you can establish trust with the person who is donating. Maybe we can change this policy (if we have to) for any security reason at all. The great thing is that most of us here have known each other for years! :o :D

Let it be done!!!!!

Most of this info comes from Microsoft and/or ComuMentor

http://www.microsoft...on/tentips.mspx

How to Donate Your Old PC - Microsoft tips for donating computer equipment

As more companies, organizations, and individuals find reasons to upgrade their computer equipment, the problem of disposing of old equipment grows.

There are three reasons why finding the appropriate way to discard old computer equipment is important:

1. According to the United States Environmental Protection Agency, nearly 250 million computers will become obsolete in the next five years. In 2001, only 11 percent of personal computers retired in the U.S. were recycled.

3. Each computer dumped in a landfill is a missed opportunity to provide Information Age tools to people across the digital divide.

3. Out-of-date computer systems can be more of a burden than a blessing to schools and nonprofits, as it can cost them up to $400 to bring a pre-Pentium computer up to today's standards. Donate computers to a recycler or refurbisher, rather than directly to these other groups.

Tips for Donating A Computer

Determine if your old computer can be reused. If you have a computer that is less than five years old, chances are that it can be put to good use by someone else.

Recycle old and broken PC equipment. Any equipment that is not working or that is below Pentium- or Mac Power PC-level should be tagged for recycling. Recyclers are businesses or organizations that remove useful parts and then break down the rest of the materials, as we do with bottles and cans. They also safely remove hazardous materials. Note: Some of these organizations may charge a fee to accept old PC's and equipment for recyclingóespecially computer monitors.

For listings of recyclers, please visit: ElectronicsRecycling.org

Provide the original media and documentation. It's helpful to have the original disks, media, and documentation that came with the PC when it was purchased.

If you clean your computer of personal information yourself, it's best to use some disk cleaning software to delete your Internet browser's cache, cookies, history, your e-mail contacts and messages, your documents, your recycle or trash folder, and non-transferable software. The best thing to do is to use a disk cleaning utility that overwrites data so that is unrecoverable.

Here are some examples of disk cleaning utilities:

Commercial Windows Disk Cleaning Software:

Wipe Info feature in Norton Utilities and System Works

Paragon Disk Wiper

Webroot Window Washer

Tracks Eraser Pro

Wipedrive

Freeware Windows Disk Cleaning Software (all available at Shareware.com)

Eraser

Active@ Kill Disk: Hard Drive Eraser

Disk Cleaner

Sure Delete

BCWipe (shareware)

Macintosh Disk Cleaning Software
Wipe Info feature in Norton Utilities (using this, you can delete single documents and files)

iClean

SuperScrubber

If the computer is still under a manufacturer's warranty, you can call the company's technical services and ask for specifics on how to delete personal files.

Plan for future donations. Save a box from the recycling bin and use it to store the documents that came with your new PC. When the time comes around to donate that PC, everything will be in one place.

Well then! Let's try and get this started! :thumbsup:

#2 ethelred

ethelred

Master Poster Wannabe

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 722 posts

Posted 06 December 2008 - 07:00 AM

From the BOINC site (minimum requirements for using BOINC):

Windows
Operating system
Windows 98 or later, Windows 2000 with Service Pack 4
Hardware
Pentium 233 MHz (Recommended: Pentium 500 MHz or greater)
64 MB RAM (Recommended: 128 MB RAM or greater)
20 MB disk space

[edit] Macintosh
Operating system
Mac OS X 10.3.9 and later
Hardware
Macintosh computer with an Intel x86 or PowerPC G3, G4, or G5 processor
128 MB RAM (Recommended: 256 MB RAM or greater)
200 MB disk space

An issue is for discussion, a problem requires resolution.

ethelred the unready

Posted Image

#3 Fifi

Fifi

Forum Supreme Being

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,453 posts

Posted 06 December 2008 - 10:20 AM

:unsure:

Fifi<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<goes to Amazon and orders a Kindle.

Edited by Fifi, 06 December 2008 - 10:20 AM.

Love is the triumph of imagination over intelligence.

#4 Mike

Mike

Forum God

• Moderators
  • 8,493 posts

Posted 06 December 2008 - 05:12 PM

I could've loaned you mine for a demo, Fifi.
In 1887, Iolani Palace was wired with electricity and telephone service-before Buckingham Palace and the White House.
Posted Image
BOINC team
Setiweb team

#5 Fifi

Fifi

Forum Supreme Being

• Members
  • 2,453 posts

Posted 06 December 2008 - 11:29 PM

I could've loaned you mine for a demo, Fifi.

Well, why didn'tcha?? Huh? 'Cause why? :rolleyes:

#6 Mike

Mike

Forum God

• Moderators
  • 8,493 posts

Posted 07 December 2008 - 09:46 AM

I don't have your snail mail address.
In 1887, Iolani Palace was wired with electricity and telephone service-before Buckingham Palace and the White House.
Posted Image
BOINC team
Setiweb team

#7 Fifi

Fifi

Forum Supreme Being

• Members
  • 2,453 posts

Posted 07 December 2008 - 10:30 AM

I don't have your snail mail address.

Oui, yes you do, that's why I haven't gotten it yet; you sent it, it's probably at GeePers nip, I mean nib factory! :blink:

BTW, JC, I am still reading your above post, I'm doing incremental readings. :hehe:

#8 7cures

7cures

Forum Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 10 December 2008 - 02:01 PM

Thanks JC and all...
I am at library, as this is the most secure shared system in town. i may have some resources around April or May, but parenting takes precedence over anything else at this time.Ya think maybe Wall Street could do without a system!? :D :D
Andraxian earthling

#9 oVo

oVo

Thought Mod. Wannabe

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,892 posts

Posted 11 December 2008 - 01:27 AM

I have heard rumors that a number of computers in Detroit won't be needed any more...
Posted Image [font="Impact"]