10 replies to this topic

#1 Flash Gordon

Flash Gordon

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 15 November 2008 - 05:03 AM

I'm looking at replacing my old Geforce 7950 x2 as I want a card that supports directx 10 plus I think it's just time to upgrade :)
I keep looking & there are so many flavors of just Geforce I feel out of touch with the new card & I can read for hours on the specs.

My curent computer specs are:
Motherboard, Asus P5W DH Deluxe
Processor, Intel core 2 Extreme x6800
Ram, 4 sticks- 1Gig OCZ Gold DDR2-800 = 4gig
Video, EVGA- Geforce 7950 GX2 1gig
Windows XP pro with SP3
2 Maxtor sata 250Gig in raid 0
Samsung Syncmaster 931BF 19" LCD

I'm leaning twards GeForce GTX 280 $449.00 as I like a single card over two as the one I have now seems good but I feel it doesn't use the full 1gig of memmory or it's just me, but even from day one the display properties show the card as 512 gig & it's actually two 512s.

I'd even be open to a radeon card as I feel there alot better now than back a few years back but I've always gone with Geforce for the driver support & new updated drivers.

I play some games like Far cry, Unreal tourneament & about all the racing games, I do lite CADD.

I'm looking for advise or just plain input on price/Quality :online2long:

#2 Johnny Cool

Johnny Cool

Johnny Cool

• Moderators
  • 15,863 posts

Posted 16 November 2008 - 07:47 AM

Flash, you should be getting some great recommendation soon. I have a much older vid card.  :blink:

#3 Fifi

Fifi

Forum Supreme Being

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,453 posts

Posted 16 November 2008 - 10:00 AM

I plead the fifth. :mellow: I'm on legal drugs. :blink: It should be interesting how long it will take somebody to help out after they've learned that we know nothing, JC... :lol: Poor Flash.
Love is the triumph of imagination over intelligence.

#4 K-TRON

K-TRON

Forum Regular

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 184 posts

Posted 16 November 2008 - 02:48 PM

Flash, I remember talking to you about this on the old mutthaboards. Alot has changed since than, so getting 8800ultras is a bad idea now.

Based on the rest of your configuration, a ATI 4850 or 4870 will suit you good. Both cards can easily outpace you 7950GX2, and both of the ATi solutions are pretty cheap.
If you want to stick with nVidia, the GTX260 is a good buy, but its performance per dollar is much less than the ATi 48xx line of graphics cards.
The GTX280 is a good card, but the 4870 is more powerefficient, cheaper, and performs equally as well.

Just make sure that whichever graphics card you buy, you can poer it with your power supply.
The GTX 280 and the 4870 will need 6 or 8 pin video card leads, which could be a problem. I dont know which power supply you have, but you may need to upgrade it to run a GTX 280/ 4870.

K-TRON

#5 Andrax

Andrax

Andrax.Net Admin

• Site Admin
  • 9,376 posts

Posted 16 November 2008 - 03:46 PM

Wow, blast from the past day!

I switched from BFG to EVGA cards a while ago. BFG stuff was good but their RMA's suck with no cross ship support. Unfortunately I am also out on current video specs. I'm running an 8800GTX which seems to be able to keep up in WoW WotLK and Left 4 Dead demo's. Hopefully it will continue to do so. Who knows when I'll be doing any upgrading.

#6 Mofo Jones

Mofo Jones

Forum God

• Moderators
  • 12,268 posts

Posted 17 November 2008 - 11:57 PM

I'm still running a 6600GT (AGP!) with a mere 128 mb of memory. I remember when I had a 4MB STB Riva 128 and it was the shit. Of course, it was also 1998...

...in other words, no video upgrade for me until I gut my current PC and make the switch to a multi core processor, SATA, PCI-E, etc.
Posted Image

#7 Flash Gordon

Flash Gordon

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 18 November 2008 - 03:09 AM

Flash, I remember talking to you about this on the old mutthaboards. Alot has changed since than, so getting 8800ultras is a bad idea now.

Based on the rest of your configuration, a ATI 4850 or 4870 will suit you good. Both cards can easily outpace you 7950GX2, and both of the ATi solutions are pretty cheap.
If you want to stick with nVidia, the GTX260 is a good buy, but its performance per dollar is much less than the ATi 48xx line of graphics cards.
The GTX280 is a good card, but the 4870 is more powerefficient, cheaper, and performs equally as well.

Just make sure that whichever graphics card you buy, you can poer it with your power supply.
The GTX 280 and the 4870 will need 6 or 8 pin video card leads, which could be a problem. I dont know which power supply you have, but you may need to upgrade it to run a GTX 280/ 4870.

K-TRON

I'm running a newer 600W thermaltake PSU so I think I'm safe on power for now as this 7950 takes alot of power.
I will check out the ATI's & see specs compared to Geforce :) after all If I can save a few dollars thats always great.
I just seem to read for hours & it just makes it more confusing :angry:
So as for direct X 10 is it even useful now?

#8 Andrax

Andrax

Andrax.Net Admin

• Site Admin
  • 9,376 posts

Posted 18 November 2008 - 07:00 AM

I don't think so... nothing leaps to mind as must have dx10. Of course, Windows 7 may ship the end of 09 and will certainly be built on DX10 so if you want to future proof your rig a bit...

Most cards now will all run DX10 though, dont they? Not bargain basement cards rather but mainstream and high end stuff. It's your os that will hold ya back since MS wont backport 10 into XP

#9 oVo

oVo

Thought Mod. Wannabe

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,892 posts

Posted 18 November 2008 - 07:20 AM

...Windows 7 may ship the end of 09...

Do you really, really think so? :blink:
Posted Image [font="Impact"]

#10 K-TRON

K-TRON

Forum Regular

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 184 posts

Posted 18 November 2008 - 03:27 PM

Sometimes reading too much can hurt.
I suggest two things:
looking at the Tomshardware graphics charts:
(their site only works with firefox)
http://www.tomshardw...chmarks,30.html

and

DesktopReview:
http://forum.desktopreview.com/

the 4870 performs almost identical to the GTX280, and its ~$200 less :D

I wouldnt spend more than $300 or so on a graphics card, because after about a year they are completely outdated.

K-TRON

#11 Flash Gordon

Flash Gordon

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 20 November 2008 - 03:40 PM

I don't think so... nothing leaps to mind as must have dx10. Of course, Windows 7 may ship the end of 09 and will certainly be built on DX10 so if you want to future proof your rig a bit...

Most cards now will all run DX10 though, dont they? Not bargain basement cards rather but mainstream and high end stuff. It's your os that will hold ya back since MS wont backport 10 into XP

No way i thought DX10 was already used on some games & XP supported it ?
Yea my card is like 2 years old & still runs everything good but I was thinking most new games were DX10 plus you know the upgrade BUG :)

Thanks for the links K-tron