Zalman FATAL1TY FS-C77 Copper Heatsink Fan LGA775
Silverstone Strider ST60F 600W
Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 500GB
Seagate Barracuda 250GB 7200.10
Pioneer DVR-212D
Creative Labs Sound Blaster X-FI Xtreme Gamer
LIAN-LI PC-V1100A Silver Aluminum ATX 19IN Full Tower Case

Just a smidge over $2000 Cdn.
"It is the job of the judges to ensure that the government of the day does not exceed its powers, which is a permanent desire of all governments." Lord Donaldson of Lymington

Brigadier: Naturally enough, the only country that could be trusted with such a role was Great Britain.
The Doctor: Naturally. I mean, the rest were all foreigners.

#2 oVo

oVo

Thought Mod. Wannabe

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,892 posts

Posted 31 August 2007 - 01:32 AM

Waaaaa? :huh:

Menel a us? :blink:

Can a mod please block this spammer, now! :angry:

:lol:
Posted Image [font="Impact"]

#3 BSartist

BSartist

Master Poster

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 969 posts

Posted 31 August 2007 - 04:00 AM

Just curious. How'd you decide to get two odd sizes for the same type of HD?

I would also step up to the GTX if you could afford it. If not, do not go any lower on the video card. The 320MB 8800GTS struggled HERE on a DX10 game.

#4 Johnny Cool

Johnny Cool

Johnny Cool

• Moderators
  • 15,863 posts

Posted 31 August 2007 - 05:49 AM

Just curious. How'd you decide to get two odd sizes for the same type of HD?

I would also step up to the GTX if you could afford it. If not, do not go any lower on the video card. The 320MB 8800GTS struggled HERE on a DX10 game.

WhatBSartist posted about the odd size HD's. Other than that ....

/drools

Oh yes Mene, about time you posted here again! :rolleyes:

#5 Menelaus

Menelaus

Mini-mene

• Moderators
  • 13,841 posts

Posted 31 August 2007 - 09:07 AM

oh the HDD thing is easy.
When I configured the system I noticed that there was an offer on buying the 500Gb drive on its own, which low price wasn't included in a system build. I suppose I could email and argue the toss, but it seems simpler to put in a smaller HDD which I will partition anyway for the OS and then buy the 500GB at a cheaper price to add to the box at the same time.
I also have two 80gb drives in a RAID array on my current PC that I would want to add as well.
A real mix and match.

Hmm, the GTX is a lot more expensive.
I'll read that review, but I did order the 640Mb not the 320Mb so that ought to make a difference.
"It is the job of the judges to ensure that the government of the day does not exceed its powers, which is a permanent desire of all governments." Lord Donaldson of Lymington

Brigadier: Naturally enough, the only country that could be trusted with such a role was Great Britain.

#6 BSartist

BSartist

Master Poster

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 969 posts

Posted 31 August 2007 - 09:31 AM

Its more of a view at DX10 gaming and they were surprised with how the 320MB 8800GTS faired so poorly.

I think you should alright. I have the GTX and might be adding a second if I dont like how some newer games play.

#7 Menelaus

Menelaus

Mini-mene

• Moderators
  • 13,841 posts

Posted 31 August 2007 - 09:48 AM

320Mb update at HardOCP:

"*Update 8-28-2007 – We have been in contact with NVIDIA regarding the performance issues with the 320 MB GeForce 8800 GTS in Call of Juarez. They believe that this is a driver bug but have no fix at this time. If it is a bug that is great, that means performance can be fixed in a future driver update. For now though, until that fix is available, this is the performance you will experience."

Edited by Menelaus, 31 August 2007 - 09:49 AM.

#8 Menelaus

Menelaus

Mini-mene

• Moderators
  • 13,841 posts

Posted 13 September 2007 - 02:29 PM

Damn

"Our assembly team has just notified us with an issue with your current order. The powersupply you have selected, Silverstone Strider ST60F 600W ATX12V 24PIN Modular Power Supply W/120MM Fan Active PFC, is too long for the case.
Our techs recommend switching to OCZ GameXStream 600W ATX12V 24PIN SLI Ready Active PFC ATX Power Supply 120MM Fan Black (SKU 18184) $129.59.
Please let us know if this change is acceptable, or if you have a different item in mind, please let us know and we can update and proceed with assembly and testing."

Well, now I have to do some quick research to find a PSU that will fit correctly.
Havign chosen a big case I am surprised the PSU doesn't fit!

#9 Mofo Jones

Mofo Jones

Forum God

• Moderators
  • 12,268 posts

Posted 13 September 2007 - 03:36 PM

That's a little weird. I thought that ATX power supplies were all a standard size so they could fit the case. Of course, it might be the mobo or the heatsink that is the true source of the problem.
Posted Image

#10 Menelaus

Menelaus

Mini-mene

• Moderators
  • 13,841 posts

Posted 13 September 2007 - 03:48 PM

i bet its the heatsink
although the strider is 180 mm long and the OCZ alternative is only 140mm.

My cock up for putting a sod off big cooler on their.
Ho hum.

#11 BSartist

BSartist

Master Poster

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 969 posts

Posted 13 September 2007 - 03:56 PM

ATX power supplys are the WxH but the length can vary. The OCZ should be fine. I believe that's made by Seasonic.

#12 Menelaus

Menelaus

Mini-mene

• Moderators
  • 13,841 posts

Posted 13 September 2007 - 04:15 PM

I think the OCZ will be fine.
Not as good as the strider though
Maybe I should have thought quicker and just turned the heatsink down a nothc.
But then both were on special when I ordered them.

#13 Menelaus

Menelaus

Mini-mene

• Moderators
  • 13,841 posts

Posted 17 September 2007 - 03:14 PM

well the new pc will be ready to collect tomorrow
So I am looking forward to that!

#14 lobsta21

lobsta21

Power Poster

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 563 posts

Posted 18 September 2007 - 01:15 AM

well the new pc will be ready to collect tomorrow
So I am looking forward to that!

Congrats. I have a 640 8800 with a thermaltake hr 03 original heat sink. no problems so far at 1920x1200

#15 Menelaus

Menelaus

Mini-mene

• Moderators
  • 13,841 posts

Posted 19 September 2007 - 06:25 AM

Wow its quiet!

And very pretty

But the layout inside is so different from the last Lian Li I had that I have no clue how I am going to get in and do upgrades and whatnot.

And no-one told me that the Zalman CPU fan is actually three football fields wide! Its absolutely wider than the palm of my hand.

Spent last night updating drivers and partitioning my drives

Tonight I'll install Bioshock

After that I need to find a way to transfer programs and files without physically putting in a hard drive, which was my original plan, because I have no idea how I will get the connections in the right place.

Photos very soon.

#16 oVo

oVo

Thought Mod. Wannabe

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,892 posts

Posted 19 September 2007 - 06:33 AM

Photos, good.
Posted Image [font="Impact"]

#17 Johnny Cool

Johnny Cool

Johnny Cool

• Moderators
  • 15,863 posts

Posted 19 September 2007 - 07:05 AM

Photos, good.

Arrr, yes, takin' pictures is a 'ery good idea. Gar, Where can I find a bottle o'rum?

Edit: Just noticed lobsta! LTNS!

Mene, those Zalmans may be a tad wide, but they are great performers. I have a Zalman CNPS9500.

Edited by Johnny Cool, 19 September 2007 - 07:09 AM.

#18 Menelaus

Menelaus

Mini-mene

• Moderators
  • 13,841 posts

Posted 20 September 2007 - 09:29 AM

I'll tell you it goes like STINK!
:D

Put on LOTRO Online, hit the auto for visual settings and they all went from Medium to High and it still runs like a dream!
Long draw distances, minimal fogging, beautiful shots of my torn and broken body on the ground being stamped down by the beast I was busy admiring and not fighting.

#19 Mofo Jones

Mofo Jones

Forum God

• Moderators
  • 12,268 posts

Posted 20 September 2007 - 02:19 PM

After that I need to find a way to transfer programs and files without physically putting in a hard drive, which was my original plan, because I have no idea how I will get the connections in the right place.

What about an external USB enclosure for the hard drive?
Posted Image