Woody Dudat

Forum Supreme Being

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,603 posts

Posted 20 April 2007 - 01:55 PM

...yes...

...dollar bills...

...got the urge to play with the newest Ubuntu release but I didn't have a machine for it...I was thinking of a dual-boot on one of my Windows computers, but that's just crazy...

...dude at the flea market had a Gateway with unknown specs for five dollars...he said he didn't know if it worked...I gambled and won...

...started with the exterior, a little window spray to clean off the BBQ sauce and snot...when I opened the case it was pretty bad...heavy layer of fine dust on the RAM and PCI cards...

...booted right up into Windows 98...no password protection/display set to 800 X 600/logon popup for AOL/the usual...the CD-ROM was dead (CD-RW worked!) and the soundcard (Soundblaster Live) was unknown in the device manager...40GB HDD...GeForce2 MX AGP vidcard...network card and modem...had a look around Thy Documents and shut her down...

...downloaded the 698MB ISO for Ubuntu at a good speed, ~500KB/sec...searched the web for the keystroke to enter BIOS and found it (power on and hold F1)...set boot order to optical drive first, put the disk in and saved and exited...

...installation was painfully slow (hour, maybe two), probably the RAM held it back...128MB PC133...processor is decent, Athlon 1.3GHz Socket A...

...after it installed and the required restart, I had a sound problem...just noise...

...Ubuntu is nice in that it had previously detected all my hardware and had drivers for it all...I wasn't sure what would happen if I put in a new soundcard...I don't have a clue how to manually install drivers in Linux...then I remembered I had bought a salvage Creative family soundcard at the same flea market for a dollar...put it in and sound is great!..

...just looking to scrape up a DVD-ROM and some more RAM now...
redundancy through duplication

#2 Farfik

Farfik

Forum God

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,583 posts

Posted 20 April 2007 - 02:41 PM

Nice find.

#3 popeyecu

popeyecu

Forum Supreme Being

• Valued Member
  • 2,272 posts

Posted 20 April 2007 - 02:42 PM

YAY UBUNTU!!

BTW: Your Linux box is officially faster than my two. I'm running a Celeron 500 and a Duron 1.0ghz.
I love the copper. I love the aluminum. I love metal and silicon working together for the betterment of computing.

Andrax Affiliate:

Posted Image

#4 oVo

oVo

Thought Mod. Wannabe

• Valued Member
  • 9,892 posts

Posted 20 April 2007 - 03:08 PM

Good going, Woody. Long install means long sit.

Your head is working well. U bun tu? :lol:
Posted Image [font="Impact"]

#5 Woody Dudat

Woody Dudat

Forum Supreme Being

• Valued Member
  • 2,603 posts

Posted 20 April 2007 - 04:19 PM

:lol:

#6 oVo

oVo

Thought Mod. Wannabe

• Valued Member
  • 9,892 posts

Posted 21 April 2007 - 02:06 AM

:lol:

:wink:

I'll have you know that I worked extra hard to dudatify that joke.
Posted Image [font="Impact"]