#1 Woody Dudat

Woody Dudat

Forum Supreme Being

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,603 posts

Posted 28 March 2007 - 04:55 PM

One Belkin, one APC.

The Belkin was the worst. I found the computer off when I woke up one morning, it should have been running. My first thought was the PSU or worse, but it turned on after I cycled the rocker switch. It happened again, so I repeated the "fix". The third time I saw it happen. The table lamp dimmed so it was a power fluctuation. The UPS had continued to supply juice under normal conditions, only the battery was dead.

When the APC died it put out an alarm. No guesswork or troubleshooting necessary.

Both were three or four years old. Down to my last one now. <_<
redundancy through duplication
redundancy through duplication

#2 Farfik

Farfik

Forum God

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,583 posts

Posted 28 March 2007 - 05:10 PM

I need to get a UPS before summer and brownouts are here. Ontario shutting down all of its coal fired power plants by 2010? Not bloody likely.

#3 Johnny Cool

Johnny Cool

Johnny Cool

• Moderators
  • 15,863 posts

Posted 28 March 2007 - 05:38 PM

I need to get a UPS before summer and brownouts are here. Ontario shutting down all of its coal fired power plants by 2010? Not bloody likely.

I think this will be yet another hot Summer here in Colorado. :ph34r:

#4 Farfik

Farfik

Forum God

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,583 posts

Posted 28 March 2007 - 06:17 PM

I think Ontario will be very hot as well. Winter didn't really get properly started until the middle of January and was pretty much gone by the end of February. The weather in the first half of January was much like the weather in the first half of a normal November.

Edited by Farfik, 28 March 2007 - 06:18 PM.

#5 Mike

Mike

Forum God

• Moderators
  • 8,493 posts

Posted 28 March 2007 - 07:38 PM

Just buy a new battery pack for the APC, you tightwad :lol: If you get it from the factory, you get a pre-paid return label for recycling.

Now fixing the discontinued 2000VA rack mount APC unit at work that constantly switches on and off battery would make my day. The UPS is past end of life :pinch:
In 1887, Iolani Palace was wired with electricity and telephone service-before Buckingham Palace and the White House.
Posted Image
BOINC team
Setiweb team

#6 popeyecu

popeyecu

Forum Supreme Being

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,272 posts

Posted 29 March 2007 - 04:52 AM

I've always wanted to get a big UPS, we get outages all the time from lightning strikes during the summer.

I'll have to agree with all other points above: weak winter, hot summer so far, and get a new battery.
I love the copper. I love the aluminum. I love metal and silicon working together for the betterment of computing.

Andrax Affiliate:

Posted Image