4 replies to this topic

#1 popeyecu

popeyecu

Forum Supreme Being

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,272 posts

Posted 08 January 2007 - 11:32 AM

Someone may have actually read this post I had the other day talking about my wishes for the new year, if not, I'll post here:

"OCUR has to be the best thing for for me, if it works like it should. Many cable companies are in a mess with Cable-Card, and I can't blame them. Do you jump all over Cable-Card, or wait for Cable-Card 2? It doesn't really matter that much on the PC side because of the DRM flags that would prevent copying Pay-Per-View and On-Demand, but when I get my OCUR and call Charter, I better not get some bull about getting a Card."

After reading the info about the AMD TV Wonder™ Digital Cable Tuner today, I realized I had no idea how bad the "get my OCUR" part would be.

Basically, the cable companies are requiring the OEMs who wish to sell this device to register with the Cable-Card company to get their computers certified. What that entails, I don't know yet. One thing I do know is that even though this device is so DRM-infested that it may end up more worthless than a pile of poop, I am not going to get hung out to dry on this one. People will still want it, especially as part of my upcoming Home Computing Package.

So I'm about to make the biggest stink a little guy ever has if I can't get one of these. I've fired off my emails to AMD and Cablelabs to get the ball rolling, however since no one was nice enough to let me in on the secret, I doubt I can make launch on the 30th.

Hello! Posted Image I am registered and everything. Send me a freaking email!

//end rant before it starts.
I love the copper. I love the aluminum. I love metal and silicon working together for the betterment of computing.

Andrax Affiliate:

Posted Image

#2 popeyecu

popeyecu

Forum Supreme Being

• Valued Member
  • 2,272 posts

Posted 08 January 2007 - 01:06 PM

First reply is from Cablelabs. They've got a nice little PDF talking about what's required on their end. Microsoft must certify, then you must pay Cablelabs, then you get some Verisign keys for your machines. Each machine seems to require a royalty fee.

It's gonna get expensive methinks.
I love the copper. I love the aluminum. I love metal and silicon working together for the betterment of computing.

Andrax Affiliate:

Posted Image

#3 Mike

Mike

Forum God

• Moderators
  • 8,493 posts

Posted 08 January 2007 - 08:22 PM

First reply is from Cablelabs. They've got a nice little PDF talking about what's required on their end. Microsoft must certify, then you must pay Cablelabs, then you get some Verisign keys for your machines. Each machine seems to require a royalty fee.

It's gonna get expensive methinks.

:devil: Just use tha analog in and the DRM is stripped. But you loose tha HD goodness :cry:
In 1887, Iolani Palace was wired with electricity and telephone service-before Buckingham Palace and the White House.
Posted Image
BOINC team
Setiweb team

#4 popeyecu

popeyecu

Forum Supreme Being

• Valued Member
  • 2,272 posts

Posted 09 January 2007 - 04:11 PM

Yeah, well the HD goodness is what I need to give my customers.

I called Microsoft today, and they are totally worthless, although very nice about it. I finally got to the point where I got an email for the Media Center Licensing group, so maybe they'll tell me what to do.

Cablelabs has gone silent... No reply from AMD yet either.

Andrax Affiliate:

Posted Image

#5 Mike

Mike

Forum God

• Moderators
  • 8,493 posts

Posted 09 January 2007 - 07:58 PM

From the few posts I've read about CableCard, it only works with Vista and only MCE has Vista drivers. So if you want a cablecard "compatible" HTPC, you're stuck with MCE and their DRM solution. If you want a non-M$, Linux based or non-DRM laden HTPC (SageTV, KnoppMyth, GBPVR, etc.), you're pretty much stuck with a STB and analog inputs to the HTPC.

I have no intention of paying the Cable Company for Digital cable and renting a STB for an additional monthly fee.

Edited by Mike, 09 January 2007 - 07:59 PM.

In 1887, Iolani Palace was wired with electricity and telephone service-before Buckingham Palace and the White House.
Posted Image
BOINC team
Setiweb team