6 replies to this topic

#1 oVo

oVo

Thought Mod. Wannabe

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,892 posts

Posted 02 October 2006 - 02:22 AM

Stream Computing uses the GPU as a compute engine rather than strictly for graphics. If you have a problem set that maps to a GPU, it will absolutely scream when compared to a plain old CPU. If you look at the architecture of a GPU, it is a bunch of shaders, tens of them in most cases, each of which can crunch a lot of heavy sums, or at least certain types of heavy sum.

Running Folding@Home on a GPU, specifically an X1900 class card. It is seeing between a 20-40 times speedup depending - not least how fast a CPU can feed the card. This would mean a GPU can do what most of a rack of servers can.

Stream it guys.

Never did understand why a good piece of hardware often sat there doing nothing while its poor brother was crunching its butt off. Same with a physics card, a shame not to use it more. More? ALWAYS!!! :w00t:
Posted Image [font="Impact"]

#2 Johnny Cool

Johnny Cool

Johnny Cool

• Moderators
  • 15,863 posts

Posted 02 October 2006 - 10:01 AM

It is seeing between a 20-40 times speedup depending - not least how fast a CPU can feed the card. This would mean a GPU can do what most of a rack of servers can.

Oh my! :w00t:

#3 oVo

oVo

Thought Mod. Wannabe

• Valued Member
  • 9,892 posts

Posted 02 October 2006 - 11:42 PM

:drool:

When this gets done I might actually be tempted to go with two GPU's...

#4 Menelaus

Menelaus

Mini-mene

• Moderators
  • 13,841 posts

Posted 03 October 2006 - 05:45 AM

oVo in a threesome?
"It is the job of the judges to ensure that the government of the day does not exceed its powers, which is a permanent desire of all governments." Lord Donaldson of Lymington

Brigadier: Naturally enough, the only country that could be trusted with such a role was Great Britain.
The Doctor: Naturally. I mean, the rest were all foreigners.

#5 popeyecu

popeyecu

Forum Supreme Being

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,272 posts

Posted 03 October 2006 - 07:42 AM

Too bad it's only ATI hardware so far...
I love the copper. I love the aluminum. I love metal and silicon working together for the betterment of computing.

Andrax Affiliate:

Posted Image

#6 oVo

oVo

Thought Mod. Wannabe

• Valued Member
  • 9,892 posts

Posted 03 October 2006 - 07:46 AM

Nvidia has its Gelato and was an early proponent of the concept, but ATI is showing that it is far from behind.

:huh:

#7 popeyecu

popeyecu

Forum Supreme Being

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,272 posts

Posted 03 October 2006 - 08:40 AM

The x1900 series was actually designed to be easily accessible for GPGPU operations. Maybe the G80 will be aswell.
I love the copper. I love the aluminum. I love metal and silicon working together for the betterment of computing.

Andrax Affiliate:

Posted Image