• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Andrax

Andrax

Andrax.Net Admin

• Site Admin
  • 9,376 posts

Posted 22 June 2006 - 11:27 AM

Just in case you hadn't heard, Lucas has finally relented and will be releasing for the first time ever on DVD the un-adulterated versions of Episode IV, V, and VI. This will be the Dolby 5.1 version with no extra cgi scenes, Hon shooting first in the cantina, and hopefully the original victory song in Return of the Jedi. Not that it was outstanding, but the new one is just horrible.

Pulling a page out of Disney's book, Lucas will release this limited time set in September 12th of this year and will pull it off the shelves December 31st. Stock up while you can. Be sure to buy an extra copy or two in case your kids accidently destroy a disk or two.

This move is a welcome one for those of us that actually remember the originals and want to be able to share them with our children.

You can see the full story at StarWars.com

#2 Mofo Jones

Mofo Jones

Forum God

• Moderators
  • 12,268 posts

Posted 22 June 2006 - 12:59 PM

The crappy part about this is that the release is the same transfer that went into the THX Edition laserdiscs in the mid 90s. Folks like Mike and kellie already have the exact information, just in a different format.

I have the VHS version. To this day, I haven't cracked the seal on Return of the Jedi. B)

Considering that the 30th anniversary of the release of Star Wars is next May, I find the timing of the release to be HIGHLY suspect. I'm expecting a full 6 film box set of 2 disc editions next year.

And of course, since I'm a sucker for things like this, I'll still probably end up buying this. I'd be happier if the disc covers were the original movie posters. (I'll try to find the pics of the new set...they are floating around the net.)

Also, Lego Star Wars II: The Original Trilogy is coming out for PC and various console systems the same day. That one is definitely a must-buy.
Posted Image

#3 Farfik

Farfik

Forum God

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,583 posts

Posted 22 June 2006 - 03:40 PM

http://www.penny-arc...omic/2006/06/07

In response to overwhelming demand, Lucasfilm Ltd. and Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment will release attractively priced individual two-disc releases of Star Wars, The Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi. Each release includes the 2004 digitally remastered version of the movie and, as bonus material, the theatrical edition of the film. That means you'll be able to enjoy Star Wars as it first appeared in 1977, Empire in 1980, and Jedi in 1983.

HA! Nobody is going to buy these to get the 2004 edition so refering to the originals as a bonus is a _______ joke.

Even though Lucas apparently destroyed the originals to make his ahem, masterful updates if what I've read is true there should still be copies that can be used to make a new transfer that is just as good as from the original stock. Therefore I predict that there will be a LUDICROUSLY EXPENSIVE ULTRA EDITION ONLY ON BLU RAY MEDIA BUY IT NOW FOR LOTS OF MONEY edition released in the future. Perhaps next May.

#4 Mike

Mike

Forum God

• Moderators
  • 8,493 posts

Posted 22 June 2006 - 04:16 PM

The crappy part about this is that the release is the same transfer that went into the THX Edition laserdiscs in the mid 90s. Folks like Mike and kellie already have the exact information, just in a different format.

:lol:

Even though Lucas apparently destroyed the originals to make his ahem, masterful updates if what I've read is true there should still be copies that can be used to make a new transfer that is just as good as from the original stock.

Somewhere, in a galaxy far, far, away :devil:

Edited by Mike, 22 June 2006 - 04:20 PM.

In 1887, Iolani Palace was wired with electricity and telephone service-before Buckingham Palace and the White House.
Posted Image
BOINC team
Setiweb team

#5 RogueTrooper

RogueTrooper

Forum Demi-God

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,963 posts

Posted 22 June 2006 - 06:05 PM

Just in case you hadn't heard, Lucas has finally relented and will be releasing for the first time ever on DVD the un-adulterated versions of Episode IV, V, and VI. This will be the Dolby 5.1 version with no extra cgi scenes, Hon shooting first in the cantina, and hopefully the original victory song in Return of the Jedi. Not that it was outstanding, but the new one is just horrible.

Pulling a page out of Disney's book, Lucas will release this limited time set in September 12th of this year and will pull it off the shelves December 31st. Stock up while you can. Be sure to buy an extra copy or two in case your kids accidently destroy a disk or two.

This move is a welcome one for those of us that actually remember the originals and want to be able to share them with our children.

You can see the full story at StarWars.com

Your old buddy Luke :lol:
Posted Image
01001001 00100000 01001100 01101111 01110110 01100101 00100000 01010000 01101001 01100101

#6 kela1850

kela1850

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 05 July 2006 - 06:25 PM

I have the VHS version. To this day, I haven't cracked the seal on Return of the Jedi. B)

Considering that the 30th anniversary of the release of Star Wars is next May, I find the timing of the release to be HIGHLY suspect. I'm expecting a full 6 film box set of 2 disc editions next year.

And of course, since I'm a sucker for things like this, I'll still probably end up buying this. I'd be happier if the disc covers were the original movie posters. (I'll try to find the pics of the new set...they are floating around the net.)

Also, Lego Star Wars II: The Original Trilogy is coming out for PC and various console systems the same day. That one is definitely a must-buy.

#7 Mofo Jones

Mofo Jones

Forum God

• Moderators
  • 12,268 posts

Posted 05 July 2006 - 08:53 PM

That link has zip to do with Star Wars. :starwars:
Posted Image

#8 Menelaus

Menelaus

Mini-mene

• Moderators
  • 13,841 posts

Posted 06 July 2006 - 06:04 AM

"attractively priced"

so, long blonde hair and stillettos? that'll get me going on a price every time.
"It is the job of the judges to ensure that the government of the day does not exceed its powers, which is a permanent desire of all governments." Lord Donaldson of Lymington

Brigadier: Naturally enough, the only country that could be trusted with such a role was Great Britain.
The Doctor: Naturally. I mean, the rest were all foreigners.